HELP PLEASE, vr6 turbo will not start :(

I went to start my car ( 1996 obd2 mk3 vr6 turbo ) yesterday morning but it didnt want to play ball. Turned on the ignition, all clocks lit up as normal, fuel pump sounds like it normally does (uprated and noisey) injectors are squirting as they should, went to turn it over, the starter motor turns over but the engine just isnt firing up! left it 10 minutes and tried again but nothing. Had to abandon it as i had plans and got picked up. im not with the car now so i will try what is suggested when i get home.

So yesterday when it wouldnt start i made sure that all the ignition leads where pushed onto the plugs properly and onto the coilpack but it didnt do anything. Im no mechanic so i need as much info as i can please

p.s i havnt had any issues like this before with it not starting from cold, not used the car for a week it was fine when i switched it off the weekend before and dont know if this helps but when im turning it over the oil light starts to flash. Ive got an oil leak but i know where its coming from (an oil sensor) and i have got the part ready to go on

Any help appreciated!!!

Kieron

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i echo what matty came up with, sounds like same prob i had with a previous car.

basically the sensor sends a signal to the ignition module to start the firing order. if theres no signal then theres no sequence to start, thus you will just keep turning over. my prob was oil had somehow got into sensor and heated up and fekd it. check to see if theres oil on yours.

easier thing to do first is check to see if theres a spark to begin with

peace out

my oil leak.. the oil is leaking from an oil sensor, ive got the part just need to fit it. Im not someone that leaves a problem to get worse i like to get it sorted asap. I can hear the injectors, they sound the same as they always have done. Like ive said i aint with the car at the minute so i just need a list of things if you get me so i know where to start and what to look for. Where should i check for a spark? sorry im a dunce when it comes to mechanics

would it be a good idea to vagcom the car? If so ill need to buy a lead and software off ebay, ive been looking but there are too many i dont know which one to choose! :s if it needs vagcom could someone who knows give me a link to the right one on ebay please, ta ;D (1996 obd2)

I just had a similar prob with mine.. Turns out engine was flooding with fuel but from the nitrous fuel solenoid.. Changed plugs (which where black and wet through with fuel, leads and coil pack..)

i'd suggest checkin plug condition and spark on each one by turning over engine a few times and holding the plug (with an insulated pair of pliers) against a decent earth (but away from the fuel lines!)

My mate got shocked the last time we did this it was actually hilarious lol, from my point of view anyway!

Right so im going to check the spark (by doing the above) check and clean up my plugs, and possibly plug into diagnostics ( can anyone recommend which vagcom to get pleassee, link if poss)

Then go from there. btw where can the crank shaft censor be found? might aswel check it just incase

I've just got myself a vagcom off of ebay, cost me under a 10er with free 1st class postage for the lead, driver and shareware download. Can't moan about that! Should be getting down to fixing the car tonight hopefully, hope its nothing serious

Right ive just been having a fiddle with the car trying to get it started. Found that when i was turning the ignition from on position to start the fuel pump was cutting off. When the ignition is turned to on there is a strange clicking sound coming from the fuse box area. Found that the noise was coming from a relay in the fuse box.something to do with the fuel. So removed this and tryed my mates relay in my car, but his does the clicking sound in my car aswel! :s Put my relay into his car and his works with mine in... very strange

so anyone got a clue pleasssee?

to check for a spark get another spark plug and attach it to each individual ht lead and turn the engine over, place the spark plug against theslam panel to earth the plug. if it is working fine you will see the spark. if you were to remove a plug and do it you would spray fuel every where, so this is the easy answer. if the immobiliser is wired in to the starting circuit then either the starter motor wouldn't turn over or the solenoid wouldn't cick across.

Could it be your ignition switch? Mine cuts power between start and ingition on, jsut worn out through age.

If that relay is clicking on and off frequently then it means something is only just switching the relay on, but not enough to keep it on, which makes it click like mad.

If you can, try a new, or known working switch.

if your relay works on your mates car then it will work on yours. have you got a spark first! if there is no spark then it would point more towards the ignition module between the coil pack and ecu if i am right in my thinking. try asking xyber on swdubs forum hei s pretty clued up on this kind of thing

Try another key as the prognosis could sound like immobiliser issue.. The key has a chip and the ign barrel has a transponder ring to pick up the signal. I have had faults with both over the years.

I'm sure there is information in prem members section on alarm and immob faults..?