Fitting bonnet lifters

every car i've seen that has bonnet lifters 'added' have the prob that the bonnet doesn't sit right when closed.

are you fitting them to the mkIII? i'd be interested to see some pics when you've fitted them, both open and closed.

sorry i can't help you fit them tho!

Bought some Bonrath ones @ GTi International last year. The quality is superb and (touch wood) no signs of corrosion at all. Well worth the £30 i paid. The bonnet sits fine and they are extremely strong. They were a bit awkward to fit as the screw thread for the wing fixing did not start off properly, as little filing later and job done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have just read this post, again as I have just bought some Supersprint bonnet struts.

I know the strut attaches to the wing via the relevant bolt thats already there, but on the bonnet where does it go? i'm guessing it could use one of the bolt holes where the hinge attaches - correct???

help, anyone? :?

That's how I fitted mine - but according some you should drill some new ones - using the existing ones causes the bonnet to flex and go out of alignment. TBH I've not noticed anything on my car. Anyone know more about this?

I used existing holes in the wing and bonnet/hinge. The Bonrath ones i have are VERY stiff and have had no ill effect on the bonnet.

My advice to anyone thinking of buying bonnet lifters is to wait until Inters and buy a set of Bonrath ones (they usually come over with an offical stand). They are top quality and there are no signs of corrosion (touch wood) in the time they have been in my car (almost a year).

Best bit of all, they were still only £30.