Now on the third attempt to get the rear view mirror back in, the tiger seal made a very good job of bonding the button to the screen, the problem was the amount of torque you have to use to twist the mirror back on its button is way too high and was just twisting any adhesive apart.

So I've twisted the button on the mirror now and have tiger sealed it again with copious amounts of gaffer tape holding the mirror in place

P1000889.jpg

Lets see if this works lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man after driving the VR on sunday its so much more involving than the A3, in that it really just drives to your destination, in the VR you do a whole lot more driving, its much more fun. Old skool.

My central locking pump has been sounding like it was slowly dying a death for quite some time now. It would moan and groan on every time I would unlock the car, only unlocking, locking was fine. I ch

Yes mostly expensive downs, look on the bright side, when you've replaced everything it'll be pretty much a brand new car as a sum of it's parts, then hopefully a good few years of trouble free (ish)

My constantly flat battery was tracked down to a shitty alternator, killed the battery beyond recovery, even immediately after a full charge it wouldn't give enough current to turn the engine over.

So I had to do a bit of shopping

P1000890.jpg

Old one off and compared to the new one

P1000891.jpg

P1000892.jpg

There's the reason, 70A and it should have been a 120A, the battery was 63Ah!

P1000896.jpg

Shiny new 120A and pulley fitted with new V belt

P1000897.jpg

And new high tensile bolts to mount the tensioner

P1000899.jpg

I modified the post covers to fit over the clamps, had to drill a hole in them for the clamp bolts, I thought it might look tidier, not so sure if I'll keep them on...

P1000900.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Just a little detail today, the car is nice and clean and waxed and the inside of the filler flap came to my attention, it was filthy.

So I took out the rubbers, removed the flap and scotched the interior down. Then I just blathered it in gloss black, being black magic you cant tell. It looks a lot cleaner and tidier now and as a bonus when I cleaned the crap off the inside of the flap I found the original info stickers. After I'd cleaned it I buried the stickers in lacquer so they should stay looking good for a long time.

P1000905.jpg

P1000907.jpg

The hinge area dirt doesn't bother me too much, and i ran out of time so it will do. TBH you don't really notice it

Fitted LED indicators into the OEM rear light units. I stripped the sides of the boot out to install the 50w ballast resistors as I wanted them hidden but still able to do their job, as they have to be mounted to a heat conductive surface ie metal(duh) to dissipate any heat.

I was able to mount them using stock screw holes and mounted them on the outside face of the inner boot wall. I cable tied the 2 sunroof drains around the mounted resistors so they wouldn't melt if they contacted a hot resistor.

TBH I don't think this would be a problem as I left the hazards on for ages and they only got hot enough that I could still touch them, but better safe than sorry.

Its subtle in the stock reflectors but I like the instant on off effect much better

One of my number plate lights burned out so I decided to LED them too after i saw the new BMWs which have white LED plate lights and they looked good.

I used the flat chip style LEDs that are 180 degree opposed

plate-leds-on.jpg

I also put some better plugs in the spoiler holes in the rear window, it had plastic bungs in and they leaked. Here the washers both sides have number plate tape on the glass side to make a water tight seal, they also look a lot better. Stainless of course.

rearscreenplugsin.jpg

rearscreenplugsout.jpg

It doesn't look like the light would shine on the plate but it does really well, its never dark enough any more to show a good example though lol

plate-leds.jpg

I missed this feature since i got rid of my audi but forgot about it, then my gf got her A3 and i was reminded of this feature and how i liked it, so i found out that VW do an OEM retro fit kit

Where did u get the kit from ??

I missed this feature since i got rid of my audi but forgot about it, then my gf got her A3 and i was reminded of this feature and how i liked it, so i found out that VW do an OEM retro fit kit

Where did u get the kit from ??

Got my genuine anni indicator units the, what look like to me, black audi style side repeaters and the LED bulbs for them.

anniunits.jpg

I've decided to change to anni units because people have been more and more giving me grief that on a bright day my smoked stock items are too dim to shine through and they cant easily see my indicators.

I didn't like that while they are still smoked you could see the white LED bulb inside it, same with the clear lensed side repeaters. The only thing I had to hand was a black CD pen so coloured them in with that, worked better than i expected.

blackbulbs.jpg

and when I had just done 1 bulb black for comparison

blackvwhite.jpg

Hehe yea they are 92 smd bulbs, I did want brighter indicators lol. Theyre supposed to be canbus safe / anti quick flash but they still did so had to take the front bumper off to mount the resistors to the chassis legs, PITA as I started on Sunday evening and had to finish on Monday when it was pissing down all day

Got the front and side indicators on now, they were misting up so I've dried them out and put some Vaseline on the seals and run sealer round the joins, cant stand misted lights!

Also scotched all the reflector off the inside of the front units as they were reflecting white in the sun, the inside is dull black now so cant reflect

The indicators have been steaming up so I've run sealer round the seams and put in vents using aquarium air tube connectors so as to not let water get in directly through the holes, then a generous dollop of sealer on those too

IMG_0298.jpg

IMG_0299.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Found some bumper undertrays on a scrapper so I've fitted them as mine never had any, with stainless fittings as the clips and screws that held them on were a right corroded mess to get off!

I had a Mk3 diesel engine under tray too but I misjudged the cuts I had to make to modify it to fit and rendered it useless!

osshield.jpg

nsshield.jpg

Yea my mother just got an Audi TT and all the interior lights are pure white SMD LEDs that's what gave me the thought to do mine cos it really makes a difference. I got them from ultraleds.co.uk and just matched the measurements to the bulbs on there

• 3 weeks later...