You got some big improvements on yours.

Got the cleaned up gearbox back on today, only took 2 hours lol

IMG_0591_zps7e2ed32a.jpg

Then filled it up with fresh gear oil, went for MT90 this time over MTL as the MTL after 3 years had started to feel a bit "thin"

Redline by name....

IMG_0590_zps43e460cd.jpg

• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man after driving the VR on sunday its so much more involving than the A3, in that it really just drives to your destination, in the VR you do a whole lot more driving, its much more fun. Old skool.

My central locking pump has been sounding like it was slowly dying a death for quite some time now. It would moan and groan on every time I would unlock the car, only unlocking, locking was fine. I ch

Yes mostly expensive downs, look on the bright side, when you've replaced everything it'll be pretty much a brand new car as a sum of it's parts, then hopefully a good few years of trouble free (ish)

Replaced the steering boots and track rod ends last night

These were a pain in the arse to get off and this is pretty much how they were on the car, they are so well hidden I never noticed before.

IMG_0598_zpsfcef5508.jpg

And these were even more of a pain in the arse to get on, I cleaned up any old moly grease and dust off the rack and ball sockets and thinly applied some fresh moly grease

IMG_0607_zps65228543.jpg

I managed to twist the track rod ends off and the lock nut stayed exactly where it was, so hopefully the tracking wont be out

IMG_0608_zps42bf609d.jpg

Good news, everything still works!

Got it started and everything was good, ran it up till the fans kicked on and t-stat opened then topped up the coolant again. The engine sounded silky smooth, I didn't think it sounded chainy before even with what I found to be totally smashed guides, but you can't hear anything of them at all now.

I had a single oil drip coming down the little tin gearbox end plate next to the sump, I torqued them up to spec when refitted but tightened up the sump bolts along the chain cover plate a but more and after a 10 mile drive no longer leaks.

Also on the drive out the v-belt splash shield decided to snap its posts off and throw itself on the road, picked it up intact though so will have to install a couple of new threaded posts to get it back on.

I'm getting some clutch judder only when engaging the clutch, in neutral and when fully engaged its fine, only when setting off or holding on the clutch, so putting this down to the brand new clutch as even on the drive across town it improved. So hopefully in 100 or so miles it'll be much nicer.

It's not a VR I know, but i remember when i had my clutch done on my citroen, it juddered a bit, and for the first 100 miles or so the clutch was almost like a paddle clutch, either on or off. So hopefully yours will burn in fine

It's taken me about 2 weeks from start to finish doing it when I could, late nights, weekends etc, but I was prob more picky than your average person, like everything was filthy and I spent a whole day just cleaning and another day painting the various parts. We had the A3 so could get about but took more planning and one person had to go collect the other etc.

I've had to do the job sooner than I wanted to as I have to not just have a wrist surgery but now have an exploratory surgery before to decide which operation would be best then have it a few weeks after so wanted the car to be in good working order so I didn't have to fix it later on.

I think its about £87 on an exchange basis or about £150 outright from TPS, I'll find out when I take my old one in. I didn't even ask my dealer. I thought this was a pretty good price for a genuine one but they are only solid so not complex to make. If not I was going to go for a sachs one for only £55 shipped but had to get it from USA.

The new flywheel has done the trick, no more shuddering along :D

The stupid mounting posts for the splash shield and undertray had all snapped off when I undid the nuts to take everything off, so I ground them flat and drilled and tapped some holes and blathered them in underseal for protection, they can be bolted on much more securely now.

Driver side

IMG_0613_zps1ddb1179.jpg

Gearbox side

IMG_0614_zps63d0eaf7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...