• Replies 372
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Man after driving the VR on sunday its so much more involving than the A3, in that it really just drives to your destination, in the VR you do a whole lot more driving, its much more fun. Old skool.

My central locking pump has been sounding like it was slowly dying a death for quite some time now. It would moan and groan on every time I would unlock the car, only unlocking, locking was fine. I ch

Yes mostly expensive downs, look on the bright side, when you've replaced everything it'll be pretty much a brand new car as a sum of it's parts, then hopefully a good few years of trouble free (ish)

I have begun the process of slowly gathering all the parts required to do the clutch, full chains and guides, head gasket and all the other little gaskets like rocker cover. When I have accumulated everything I'll then do all of this in one job, none are immediately necessary though the rocker gasket does weep a tiny bit just like every other VR6 I've ever seen, but its coming up to 100k now and I would like them all re done for some preventative maintenance.

Yea I'll be doing it myself, I've already done the cooling, electrical and oil system, the clutch, chains and head gasket are all that's originally left now aside from the head, block and internals. I've decided that I'll stick with stock power and N/A for the time being.

Just tackled a spot of flaked paint and water ingress underneath it behind a rear light today, all sorted and lovely again now :D Not the highest quality of finish but its behind the rear cluster and the actual protection quality of the job has passed my high standards. I'm a person where if it isn't good enough I'll do it over and again till it is. Had the other cluster off to check there but that side is fine.

Picked this little lot up from the dealer today, I couldn't find the plastic type rocker cover gasket anywhere but dealer, JWIS chains look really nice, don't get a lot for £140 though :(

On the recommendation of Pete I sourced a Valeo clutch kit, rang around everywhere to try and order one but couldn't, then went to my local motor factors and got one for £87, bargain! :D

I have a Victor Reinz headgasket coming for £19 that I found in a parts shop that buys up old dealer stock.

Next on the list is genuine tensioners and guides, have to be gen flywheel bolts as they're dealer only, I'll go for Febi head bolts (dealer can f*ck off at £120 a set) and I think I'll be nearly there.

IMG_0540_zps1bc43959.jpg

That's cheap on the clutch kit mate! I paid 130 and had to get it via Stealth Racing, as couldn't get it anywhere!

MY clutch feels awesome now I've got a new one in and new slave cylinder too.... I'll let you know how it drives tomorrow when I take it for a thrash :D

You motor will be sweet as :) when are you planning on doing the work? Hope it doesn't get in the way of our events :)

Yea I was expecting £130 and when he said £87 I came round the desk and had a look to make sure it was all correct lol.

Did you say that the clutch arm that holds the bearing is a nice cheap thing to replace along the way also? If yes do you have the part # and price?

I don't actually know when I'm going to get to do this, everything is hinging on if I need surgery on my wrist or not and when that would take place at the moment, if so my next move will be one of those Clarke car covers and a SORN for a few months. I was supposed to be in a meeting with the surgeon this morning as it goes but the fecker cancelled it on tuesday without reason :@

02J141719B 1 Clutch Release Arm It was around £12 from memory mate, worth doing, I just re-used my existing spring.

worth doing at the same time, as they are prone to breaking at some point, so makes sense to do it at the same time :)

that's a bloody good price for the clutch, jealous! typical that mate, surgeons eh? probably gone on holiday or something grrr

Right cheers nice little cheap item to add to my list, reminded myself to ring them back just now to chase them up and got told I should never have been given it in the first place as he was off, tut. Bloody hospitals, too many people running about like headless chickens. Got booked for 2nd May now.

I'm also periodically buying up bits to try and spread the cost, can't imagine what the cost would be if I 1. bought everything at full price with dealer tax 2. paid a garage to do it all aswell (never gonna happen lol).

I'm thinking start getting the car on stands, taking the front off and gearbox off at least on probably Saturday, then try and plough through the whole mechanicals in the following days after.

I'm hoping the flywheel bolts don't live up to their name of cheese head bolts too, I really don't want major setbacks wasting loads of time on stupid tiny things like a mashed up bolt. I've tried to get absolutely everything together beforehand for that reason, my only car will obviously be out of action so cant just hop in and go get something :S

Edited by Lukey.

I have begun tearing down, I'm this far in now and finding little things along the way all the time, like its had a head gasket before, performed by a numpty that couldn't even manage to replace all the bolts on the covers, no wonder its been weeping from various places, I've bought a box of brake cleaner spray to try and get all the shite off and going to paint it all silver again.

P1010006_zps1d56f625.jpg

My knocked up cam lock works a treat

P1010003_zps1c266f82.jpg

My shed has more engine in it than the car does now, there's more than this in there now too lol. Yes that is my luxury princess pink mechanic mat hehe

IMG_0559_zps0b667db2.jpg

The gearbox was covered in a cm layer of oily cack, totally minging and has taken about 2 hours of cleaning and degreasing by hand to get it to this, nearly there I think, not gonna jet wash a gearbox I've seen bad results before

IMG_0560_zps8b13fdb1.jpg

I've got in trouble for this

IMG_0561_zps627277b3.jpg