YAAAAAAAAAAA!! gearbox/clutch/engine is 90% undrivable now!

Hi all. I apologise if this comes across as long winded but I'm going to describe the problems and pick your brains.

Vehicle

'95 Golf VR6.

OBD2

98,000 miles

Problem

1) Severe difficulty engaging gears and crunching

2) Constant grinding noise from rear of engine with or without clutch pressed.

3) Gears engaged with clutch pressed, creates severe vibrations on gearstick, clutch pedal and engine lumpyness.

4) High pitched fast grinding when gear selected and foot off the clutch.

5) Keeping foot pressed on clutch, 2/3rds up, no grinding or vibrations at all with engaged gear.

6) When changing gear, press clutch fully and wait 2 or more seconds to mesh in with new gear.

Diagnosis/ Repairs done already

1) New timing chains, tensioners, guide rails ect ect...to replace old timing bits with only 11k of use.

2) New clutch, release bearing, spring plate.... appropriate places greased and rid of rust.

3) New gearbox oil.

I've pretty much thought about the problem lying within the gearbox itself right from the start but covered the less pricey basics first.

I've checked that there is no excessive wear on the tappets.

No noise coming from crank case/sump to suggest bearing damage/crankshaft slide.

I'm at the end of my teather. The car is now so bad, I can't actually drive it properly.

I did think about the unbalanced flywheel idea, however, unless ben cut parts of the flywheel off before transport, I can't see how that would happen. Besides, I've already checked that everything was fine, secured ect ect.

Just wanderd if anyone wanted to put their 2 pence worth into the mixture?

Yours could be sycros in the gearbox or the upper selector cable loosening at the selector.

Pete, my slave cylinder was changed when the engine from ben went in. As for the selectors, I can't imagine they would create severe vibrations with or without the gears being selected.

I will check however. Thanks. :)

Yours could be sycros in the gearbox or the upper selector cable loosening at the selector.

Pete' date=' my slave cylinder was changed when the engine from ben went in. As for the selectors, I can't imagine they would create severe vibrations with or without the gears being selected.

I will check however. Thanks. :)

[/quote']

I got through 2 slave cylinders in a matter of months, on I got from GSF ended up going faulty, the seal had a small slit in it..

Looked at slave pete, all is well.

Noise is coming from inside the gearbox at rear and toward diff.

Only thing that has changed from my old car other than the engine...is the gearbox.

I can only assume that the gearbox is the culprit.

I really can't be bothered changing it over again. Atleast not for a while anyway. So I've stripped the engine bay and taken the front of the car off. All I need to do now is remove the driveshafts and unbolt the gearbox and mounts.

That can wait for a good while as my back needs a rest from the amount I've done in the past 2 months.

If I find that it isn't the gearbox and it is an internal engine issue then I'll be breaking the car. But that's in the worst case scenario.

Paul, I removed the gearbox when ben bought the engine up. After installing the engine and gearbox, I heard the noise and removed the gearbox. I replaced the clutch, spring plate and release bearing. I had the timing go while checking for the grinding noise again, removed gbox again to do timing, retimed, gearbox back on...grinding still there so I'm now taking the gearbox out later this week again. Will be putting my old gearbox on this time and see if the grinding is still there.

I hate gearboxes.

Fingers crossed this time anyway.

Yes Barry.

Got worse after I left you all on the island to the M1. By the time I hit the M6 I had serious vibrations and grinding. Got to my parents and spent about 10 seconds crunching reverse trying to engage it. Nursed her home to the garage and I couldn't get any gear. Had to use the starter motor to pull her over a bump and rolled into the garage.

Not brilliant really.

Yea I do too.

My only problem is with putting the gearox back on. I've hurt myself doing this quite a few times, most recent was breaking my finger and taking a large chunk out of the back of my hand.

It will get done. Just need to build up some enthusiasm.

Alright dude, just read your post on the other thread and it sound's to me like the input shaft bearing's are screwed, but if your gonna strip it, you may as well do the output and diff bearing's. At least i hope it is anyway. Rather the box than the block. Good luck.