Heater matrix. Big problem?

are either of the footwell's wet?? That's going to be the main one, if it's steaming from dash it's obviously leaking somewhere inside the car and dripping somewhere, So just check the carpets first.

and does the front window steam up when you out the heater on as though you are de-misting it?

Does sound very much like heater matrix though. Never done one on the VR6 before but I imagine it's a dash out jobby.

Yeah, it could be a burst pipe, but could also be the heater matrix, this is a pain of a job because you do have to take the dash out... but then if it is a burst pipe this could point to a head gasket problem as that can cause a build up of pressure which in turn would burst the pipe.... :( :(

sounds like heater matrix mate .... get it done and if ur still worrie about the head gasket get a sniffer check done ... that will tell u but id put money on ur matrix goin pop .... can bypass it by joining the two pipes goin into the bulk head but wont have heat in the car but also wont have any more water in the footwells

• 3 weeks later...

i just done heater matrix on my other golf , its a bittch of a job, had to take dash out ,steering wheel off and stalks , but you dont need to remove metal brace that goes across car as you can lift up high enough when you remove 4 bolts from door shuts, and 2 bolts behind steering column . to drop all heater box out so is enogh room to lift matrix out , there are 3 bolts in engine bay holding heater in place , 2 you can see 3rd is under heat shielding , also to remove dash you need to remove 2 bolts under windscreen scuttle , there is 1 on right you can get too , but on drivers side you need to remove wiper arms and take motor out as bolt is behind .