Frank the Rado Vr'd caddy Van

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loving the work from team South. I only go to sea for a couple of weeks and you go and sneak another project in. Sorry I couldn't be there buddy but the country calls and you all need protecting. Good to see my engine hoist getting in on the photo's.

Your hoist was an absolute godsend mate! and the trolley and beefy stands come to mention it!

I will be bringin the van home tomorrow to get some more bits done in the evenings after work.

Tony cant get back down till mid nov so i got 4 weeks to get the odds and sods sorted..

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, Exhaust is now sorted..

pickin the Van up on Tuesday, need Tony to confirm when he can make it back down and hopefully we are there!

TO DO's:

strip pedle box from mk2

strip coilovers from mk2

order oil, filters and service spares

order new throttle cable..

ecu to storm for alarm reprogramming

MAF and filter

Throttle position sensor

servo line to manifold

fuel filter and wire up fuel pump

washer bottle and connections

coil pack bolts

coolant

thermostat housings

anything else..?

• 2 weeks later...

Tony Booked for tomorrow and Sat. Hotel Booked and parts at the ready..

TO DO's:

strip pedle box from mk2

strip coilovers from mk2

ecu to storm for alarm reprogramming

servo line to manifold

wire up fuel pump

washer bottle and connections

coil pack bolts

thermostat housings

anything else..?

SHOPPING LIST:

order oil,

Oil filter

Fuel filter

coolant

throttle cable..

TPS

Plugs (NOT BOSCH)

MAF

Air filter

Oh Yeah.. Updated pics of the exhaust.. I sooo Chuffed with this! :) :)

IMG_1349.jpg

IMG_1362.jpg

IMG_1363.jpg

IMG_1364.jpg

Cant wait to hear the noise..

Ok. so friday afternoon, the tonymeister and I set to work..

We had a small amount of messing about to get ready namely:

The van now has the mk2 g60 brakes, drive shafts, hubs and shocks

The engine has had new oil, filters and plugs..

photo-41.jpg

photo-42.jpg

Tony Likes lickin dirty hose.. ;)

photo-43.jpg

photo-44.jpg

photo-46.jpg

photo-45.jpg

photo-47.jpg

vrvphoto.jpg

vrv1photo.jpg

Ok late on sat we got hindered due to myself disposing of the 'unwanted' old caddy loom prematurely leaving the key chip reader plug somewhere else.. this caused a few issues, but after a trip to the scrappy today I managed to find another..

I have also managed to load up vag com on the laptop and with the help of Tony and Andy @ storm so fingers crossed and a prayer tomorrow morning she will start! :o

Thanks Tony boy!

My patience has ground to a halt as has my vag com connection.. I have had a few emails to and from Mat @ C2 who has very kindly mapped and demobilised an obd1 ecu which fingers crossed will be collected tomorrow and thus meaning I can get the bloody thing started!

watch this space!!

Thanks Monk :)

Frankenstein is ALIVE!!

Well here's the update..

Thanks to Mat @ C2 workin late last nite, we have a custom c2 map and immob detfeated ecu.

She starts, she runs but he sounds awsome from the rear however a tad noisy at the front..

item1. The mk2 6 branch from the 24v I bodged onto the 12v is blowing.. so that has to come off and the standard vr on ehas to back on.. that is unless any has a 6 branch going cheap???

2. There is a major coolant leak from the crack pipe (i think its here as the oil filter housing is now a water feature..

3. the oil pressure light is on. - possible sensor failure..

4. there is a rattling from the rhs of the engine, possible gearbox or loose connection, but cant hear it too well as the exhaust is a bit blowy!

5. gears are sloppier than my ex.. (not a bad thing ;) )

6. Need to put the rado clocks in as the caddy 1's are totally all over the place! (as expected!!)

generally its in need of a tighten up and check over..

Fingers crossed i'll get this done for the xmas meet!

Ok, had a tinker today and thanks to Nat, Dave and Pete have identified no gear oil..!

I'm using my mates workshop tomorrw with ramps etc so should help out a bit for the remainder of the works..

1.. Noisy exhaust: Got a 6branch off of ebay for £

55.00! pickin up saturday

2. Water Leak: Leak found & identified as oil cooler return pipe. swapped with a spare!

3. the oil pressure light is on. - possible sensor failure.. ????? now rado dash is in the water temp light is on..?

Not sure as there is no level sensor on the header tank

4. now have gearbox oil and will be seeing to tomorrow :)

5. gears are sloppier than my ex.. (not a bad thing ) ok, changes clutch may require adjustment?

6. Not sure about front shocks.. adapted mk2 ones but am looking at some new coilies for front.. again look into tomorrow..

Looking.. and sounding good ;)