Polishing the Corrado

Got my Corrado - It's been standing for 3 months and the paint need attention as you can see.

10126_1219916182564_1368716801_643094_7827633_n.jpg

10126_1219916142563_1368716801_643093_2878872_n.jpg

I'm borrowing Jims silverline electric polisher, so I was wondering whats the best method of bringing up the paint on the car...

I've got some p21s stuff, auto glym thats about it!! any compounds / methods I should be using to try and restore the paint work?

Pete

In all honesty Pete I would get it done professionally.

Reason one being even with the right products, unless you have practiced and/or are experienced in machine polishing, it'll be either so frustrating trying to get a decent finish that'll you'll lose the will, or you'll make a hash of it. Even more so if you're diving straight in with a rotary polisher and not a DA.

Reason two being you could easily spend £150-200 on the most basic products most of which you'll use about once a year. Better off investing in a good professional detail and then follow a good wash regime to maintain the finish (with regular waxing).

Log on to Detailing World and search for a local detailer. Chances are if you mention that you're the VR6OC founder and will be showcasing the results on the site, they might give you a better deal...

HTH

Thanks for the reply.

I dont want to pay for someone to be honest, I'm willing to give anything ago once (how else would I learn?) it needs some bodywork doing it anyway, so I've got nothing to loose. I just want see how much once I've given it a once over.

I'd be after details of what products I'd need? I've got all the time in the world, this is a VR6 build on a budget and I've got a nice garage to do all the work anyway.

Pete

pete what is the condition of the paint, is it just dull or has it got bad swirl marks on it?? i have used various different stages of polish on mine and they havent worked as my swirls are really bad and im now going onto a mega heavy compound from my friends spray shop as its my last hope, but i have a great email that the mod on detailing world sent me, i can forward it onto you.

If i was you i would start on a panel that needs work doing to it so if you marr your paintwork then its not a massive drama.

mainly dull, and some swirl marks, I've never been able to get them out by hand on previous cars, so was thinking of an electric polisher to get some elbow in on it.

Can you not see the couple of pics posted above?

Yeah, stick it up on the site, i'm sure others can benefit from it too :)

I just want it look better, and see if I can get away without needed a full respray, I'm gonna do some prep work myself on the body / rust bits etc...

Pete

yeah its just really hard to tell by pictures the extent of the swirls... mine looks like it hasnt got any, but it really has!

I will send over the info i have got, but ill leave it up to you to decide whether to put it on or not as machine polishing isnt an easy task and you can do more harm than good... so id rather not put my name to it!! lol.

Its worth a go though IMO, my paintwork does look a lot better, just not quite enough of a cut for my damage, but the products mentioned should be enough for most people and are very resonably priced.

i'd personally go to the scrappy and get a few random panels to practice on first, you could probably take some away for free. Once you've got a technique sorted without burning any of the panels with the polisher and are happy to unleash it on your own paintwork then you're less likely to do any damage. if you've got any doubts then its better to iron them out rather than regret your inexperience by screwing up.

pm sent, hope it makes sense!! its quite detailed, also he mentions the Menzerna 203S polish.

what i did was get the triple pack one on here... http://www.polishedbliss.co.uk/acatalog/menzerna-203s-polish.html called Menzerna Polish Triple Pack - SMALL, as it has that polish but also two heavier cut ones, so if the first one doesn't work you can move on to a heavier cut polish :)

I'll just practice on the wings first, they need rubbing down anyway.

Thanks Nat, very helpful, I'll just stick to slow speeds with some normal polish first and see how well it comes up, get more abrasive compound if its needed - i'm not after a totally mint bodywork :)

pete what is the condition of the paint' date=' is it just dull or has it got bad swirl marks on it?? i have used various different stages of polish on mine and they havent worked as my swirls are really bad and im now going onto a mega heavy compound from my friends spray shop as its my last hope, but i have a great email that the mod on detailing world sent me, i can forward it onto you.

If i was you i would start on a panel that needs work doing to it so if you marr your paintwork then its not a massive drama.

[/quote']

The remaining swirls are probably bad marring from the polish not breaking down effectively or being worked long enough. Something like Meguiars #83 will be enough to get rid of the swirls, along with a black 3M polishing pad (or quite a few of them). The polish does need worked over at 18" square size at a time, maybe two hits to get rid of all the swirls then refined with a 3M blue pad and Meguiars #80. Then obviously the wax of choice.

Pete, you'll need to obviously degrease, wash (including toothbrushes etc into all the nooks and crannies), clay and wipe down the paintwork prior to any polishing. You'll need at least 6-8 pads (polishing and refining ones), and plenty of MFs. Also vital is a set of halogen lights to spot the swirls which you can move around the car, unlike the sun. Allow at least 2 days for the whole process - each panel should take you an hour or so to do, more for bonnet and roof. The key is to take your time, move the polisher slowly and not expect instant results. Try a VW panel of similar age to your car from the scappy's - then you can get an idea of how to move the polisher to avoid marring, and get an idea of what combination of pads/polish works best.

I would also spend a few hours reading some of the guides on DW... ;)

• 4 weeks later...