Welcome Project Ugly Betty

Ok, so it all started after Fighting torque when 3 spark plugs melted creating a financial issue with the next stage of my project.

The mk2 was advertised and would have made up a big chunk of the value for my next project. funny how things dont quite go to plan, but hey!

With the cost of a new 3.2 engine, forged pistons and a lot of work ahead we decided towrite off the mk2, strip and sell bits.

All very well as the cost of the bits would leave me not far off the asking price, however the show season is still here and as most of u know, i cant just sit on the side line..

Thursday after A last minute search for a vr lump to put in the shell of the mk2 found me this rather interesting self build turbo in a mk3. bids where around the 1k mark and my mind started ticking, shorly after the thinking process my mind was made up.. and after speaking to Charlie about it, we had both decided to go 50 / 50 on a little part time project. in the last 20 seconds, we put our max bid down and ended up buying a complete strange unknown

car for £1,725.00 (£867.00 each)!

Friday was work as usual, untill the afternoon, when Bungy very kindly offered to assist with collecting the car from Watford. Charlie hopped in and we where off.

We turned up, and first thing we saw was the huge ugly betty style from mount intercooler hangin off the bumper! the block was cold, and everything seemed ok. a quick test drive up the road, a shake of the hands and exchange of money and we headed back to southampton.

Early on Saturday, I met up with Bungy & Charly at H2O Central and convoyed up to the pod.

Arriving at 0830, we set to work stripping down the front end to inspect and rectify the oil leak, which was relatively straight forwards!

Nigel sooned arrived and chuckled to himself!

Tony, Craig and Martin got there for lunchtime, and by that point it was back together, but we had threaded the oil supply line to the turbo..

Tony in tru tony style soon made a temporary repair and we set about our testing runs..

14,9, 14.6 , fully laden - not bad, but as the car was going to be track and trailer use anyway we set about making her lighter..

Thanks to Martin, Nigel and the team we had the entire interior stripped out within the hour :)

Redsulting in a much improved 14.4 & 14.0 1/4 mile.

The turbo was only giving 5psi and the engine is completely stock on 169k. so there is plenty of room for improvement.

watch this space :)

Thanks to:

Charlie for splitting costs 50 / 50 on the whole project ;)

Bungy for helping to collect frank from his old owner, stripping down the front end and making the necessary repairs to the oil temp sensor leaks. :)

Tony, Nigel & Craig for the team effort :)

If any 1 has any pics to add. please feel free.. mine will go on later

was such a laugh when we truned up and found a mk3 golf with a dirty great big intercooler sat on the fron first thoughts were jake what have u brought lol then he poped back and we set to fixing it ..... was a good laugh as usual .... and cheers for the laughin gas lol

was such a laugh when we truned up and found a mk3 golf with a dirty great big intercooler sat on the fron first thoughts were jake what have u brought lol then he poped back and we set to fixing it ..... was a good laugh as usual .... and cheers for the laughin gas lol

Tony.. That nos was for ur car.. Ur suppost to fit that in the boot not inhale it... damn kent boys! anythin for a quick fix.. lol ;)

What a giggle seeing that on the stand stickered up in Jakes livery sat on the VR6 stand. Things just seemed wrong about it...turbo wrong way to normal something missing of the manifold as blowing exhaust to air....nos on a very strange way to how i know it goes........but it does shift and will be better no doubt

Tony.. That nos was for ur car.. Ur suppost to fit that in the boot not inhale it... damn kent boys! anythin for a quick fix.. lol ;)

ah bugger that be y i went to faster but laughed all the way home lol

well, expect some improvements soon. as ill be working some cable tyeing, gaffer tape magic ...i reckon another 50 bhp+ some proper torque, as it seem to be down on it somewhat. makes less than most standard vr's... i'll have the big hammer at the ready :)

• 1 month later...