I was browsing the 'net (like you do), and came across this...

-link-

Basically this replacement crank pulley alters the "gearing" between the engine driveshaft and all the ancilliaries that hang off it (Power steering, Air Con & alternator), thereby reducing the "drag" on the engine caused by these components.

Not sure whether it's just meant for the racetrack/dragstrip, but sounds like a really good tweak for an already heavily-modded VR.

Footnote: The US Mk4 VR6 12v uses the same engine as the Mk3 VR6...

[ Edited ]

i had this mod for 2 years now and had no problems. i have a 3 pulley kit with consists of a smaller crank pulley, larger power steering pulley to make up the difference so the belt still fits and a alternator pulley. the new pulley weighs nothing compared to the heavy original one.

Awesome do a Neuspeed Pulley kit. It includes a lighter pulley for EACH of your ancillaries.

Not cheap, but you'll find a BIG difference in responce and a big drop in Transmission losses = larger wheel BHP

[ Edited Tue Nov 16 2004, 04:24PM ]

Agreed - throttle response will be far better but i dont see how having lighter pulley will increase power at the wheels - once the inertia is overcome to spin the drive pulley up absolute power will still be the same - transmission loss is due to friction not mass....

it revved up much quicker and smoother, it's just like having the flywheel lightened. i now have a fully lightened bottom end, flywheel, crank, crank pulley and forged piston.

the underdriven ones are good but no good for those who have chargers as it reduces boost so if you charger guys wanna get one, go for the same sized type

Reducing the friction by slowing the pulley speed down will give a slight power increase at the wheels - however just lightening the pulleys wont.

Some people reduce the pulley speed when the engine max rpms are increased - ie when lightening and balancing have taken place as due to the higher operating rpms of the engine and therefore where higher ancilary belts speed can lead to cavitiation on the water pump side where it is driven too quickly - in this case undersize pulleys are a good idea.

Also on track based cars which can get away without high current loadings they may be usefull - on a road car with all the trimmings i dont really see much point but hey thats my opinion..

[ Edited Tue Nov 16 2004, 07:20PM ]