Hi folks, need some advice....

me and a friend did a test the other day on my car, initially we was going to sort out the ignition timing as it was way out!

up on doing a test it appeared that it was out due to only 3 (4 intermittent) cylinders running, so we think its the coil pack gone as the leads a pretty new and look no way damaged.

Does this sound right, if so where's the best place to buy a new coil pack and how much am i looking at?

cheers,

there is a lot of treads with coilpacks faulting on the vr. Its a standard problem.

Search and you will find it.

Mine looked good but it had a SMALL crack and this made the engine go nuts.

GOt mine here and what a difference: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/VW-GOLF-JETTA-VR6-Ignition-Coil-PACK-Packs-93-94-95-96_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZ72Q3a570Q7c66Q3a2Q7c65Q3a12Q7c39Q3a1Q7c240Q3a1318Q7c301Q3a1Q7c293Q3a1Q7c294Q3a50QQ_trksidZp3286Q2ec0Q2em14QQhashZitem1c070948edQQitemZ120377133293QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories#ht_1533wt_1197

I have some epoxy in car ready and waiting in case mine does start playing up. It did once at last years annual meet, loud cracks when it was arcing. So I took it off and cleaned it down as it was covered in crap and been fine ever since

• 1 month later...

bloody hell that seems like a lot mate, i got a quote of £130 from colchester vw for a coil pack as i noticed a few cracks, but mine hasnt started playin up yet.... just wanted to know what i was lookin at, how can it be so much more for you??

Dont no why my local vw is more expensive mate, that what they told me over the phone....when i go in in the morning ill mention it see if they will knock anything off, i doubt it though...never thought of gsf, last time i got a part from there it was wrong and faulty so not really used them since.

Right peeps, its all fitted now...couldnt see much wrong on the outside with the old one apart from gunk n greese.

What should i expect to notice once new one is fitted whilst driving? car seems abit lumpy still....

if the problem was with the coilpack that should have fixed it

did you disconnect the battery sometimes disconnecting the battery for 15 minutes resets the ecu

you might need to get it on VAG_COM to clear any codes and see if any reappear

When my coilpack went, I did the plugs (£36.02) and leads (£78.30) first - ever hopeful they might be the problem. Turned out it was the coilpack (£142.89)! All OE VW parts from VW Parts outlet near me. With new coilpack sweet as a nt. You could try the plugs and leads. Take each plug out and have a butchers to see if its the right colour. That is if the problem is on the high tension side.