cracked turbo maniold

i know from experiance that getting it to go over the rear beam without banging' date=' on anything bigger than 2.5" is a major pain in the arse..

thats a very nice exhuast.

[/quote']

ok easy is not the right word ... i ment doable and worth the effort to save money lol... i know what your saying about the room you've got. even worse when your low. Ive got about 1" each side of my standard exhaust bodge and thats using the standard exhaust section thats squashed where it goes over the rear axal

Would squashing the exhaust making it oval where it goes over the axal on a 3" cause restrictions or problems?

probaly not , as my miltek is like it.. but 3" all the way through , is better.. i honestly didnt think you could go 3" over the axle with ovaling it.. i had 2.5 " on my old mk2 and that knocked like anything, and it was only mildly lowered

Hey Jim, it's great yours is proving reliable, cracks and all.

C2 Motorsports sell a 3" over axle pipe which is bent to the right shape if it helps? You could use that to make up a full 3" system.

My 2.5" system knocks on the floor slightly only on very harsh bumps and I use stock VW rubbers. It's likely a 3" will knock occasionally but one cure is to knock a hump into the boot floor to give more clearance.

Re the turbo nut that shook loose, I bought some locking ones from Stage8, which will be going on with the new manifold etc.

Demon tweeks sell some chemical metal stuff that's designed to plug gaps in manifolds, withstands 2500 deg F. Could be a temporary stop gap?

hi kev, yeah , its been uber reliable, even with the crack.. im very impressed. speaking of which , take a look at the photo below. now i no why it was blowing. weird thing is, i cannot find the missing part of the gasket ???

What's the T3 port alignment like on your manifold Jim?

Curiously enough, when I dismantled my first SPA manifold setup, I found my T3 gasket was split like that aswell....and the T3 bolts hadn't shaken loose.

It was because the T3 port alignment was so bad, a lot of the gasket was exposed to the exhaust flow, and when you're talking 0.5mm steel plate subjected to 800+ degrees of exhaust....it ain't gonna last long.

Can't wait to get the bloody thing off.

well, ive found out a few intresting things.

my turbo is indeed as i thought , a divided port t4 , and becuase of that a t3 gasket aint gonna cut it. i think with mine the large space in the middle not filled by the strip of metal that you get on a divided port gasket , hasnt done me any favours. having said that, im gonna put it back together over the weekend, so ill take a look at the port alignment.. i guess its like the rest of it..way out.. its a loverly stainless manifold, just a shame it was welded by stevie wonder and checked by ray charles.

still cant argue with 2 track days , santa pod and a few thousand miles inbetween.

and if the bolt had'nt come of the flange, id still have 4 and it may not have blown to bits like it shows in the photo.

unfortunatley essex turbos do not sell t4 divided port gaskets, and i do not know were else to get a ready supply near colchester.

still things could be worse........

Yeah yours has held up very well considering mate...

BTW, I think I saw you at the Highwoods Tescos a month or so ago with your missus? Sorry if I blanked you, I wasn't sure if it was you or not, LOL! Not that I've seen you twice, LOL, what am I like!

Anyway, so your turbo is a divided type, aka "twin scroll", but the manifold is isn't? Hmmm, yeah that will defo cause problems! Can you not cut the T3 flange off and weld a divided one on in it's place? ATP sell them.

Divideds usually have quite low back housing ARs, which spools nice and quick

tescos?? yep probaly me and the wife..i didnt see you buddy, so dont worry :) i quite often walk past people i know, and dont recognise them, usually because im to busy with my head in the clouds or thinking

yeah its divided, im guessing its the reason it pulls so well, and gives a nice torque curve, coupled with the cams.

i may look into changing the manifold flange. but im willing to give it one more go for a fiver a gasket , and a hours work it aint to much of a hassle for the time being.

do many people make good power with divided type turbo's ?? was told it was good for circa 550bhp, but it could be pub talk.

Hey Jim' date=' it's great yours is proving reliable, cracks and all.

C2 Motorsports sell a 3" over axle pipe which is bent to the right shape if it helps? You could use that to make up a full 3" system.

My 2.5" system knocks on the floor slightly only on very harsh bumps and I use stock VW rubbers. It's likely a 3" will knock occasionally but one cure is to knock a hump into the boot floor to give more clearance.

Re the turbo nut that shook loose, I bought some locking ones from Stage8, which will be going on with the new manifold etc.

Demon tweeks sell some chemical metal stuff that's designed to plug gaps in manifolds, withstands 2500 deg F. Could be a temporary stop gap?

[/quote']

have you tried using audi s3 rubbers they are red abd harder and a bit wider so they are tight when on.

used the on my hartmann 3" exhaust they are really good,and they cost almost the same.

Regards

RIX

Nice one' date=' thanks for the tip!

[/quote']

i found that out when i had an s3,it´s only the ones in the middel you can use,the ones for the back box are diff.

the s3 one´s are so big you fill the metal hanger out.

Regards

RIX