Golf syncro RHD Supercharged

Got the car last year, pretty much standard apart from the wheels, coilovers and it having a right hand drive conversion. (and some crappy ecotec valves)

DSC01057.jpg

DSC01056.jpg

DSC01058.jpg

engine before supercharger

DSC01059.jpg

manifold before

DSC01078.jpg

DSC01079.jpg

DSC01076.jpg

DSC01077.jpg

the new manifold (custom Hayward and Scott)

DSC01085.jpg

DSC01086.jpg

DSC01087.jpg

DSC01088.jpg

DSC01090.jpg

Now supercharged

DSC01102.jpg

DSC01103.jpg

DSC01107.jpg

DSC01110.jpg

Gonna heat wrap the manifold this week and if i get time polish the inlet manifold and get rid of the ecotec valve (previous owner mod).

Got allot more planned but won't be doing much more this year apart form maybe some body mods and change the wheels.

Full engine spec

2.9 obd2

stage 2 vf engineering supercharger kit

13 row oil cooler kit

70'c thermostat

10mm HT leads

audi TT spark plugs

Full vibra tec comp engine and gear box mounts

custom 6 branch manifold

cat bypass

• 2 weeks later...

oliVeR6- I did originally see it on eBay but didn’t bid on it and saw it again on piston heads. I had a highline at the time and was going to supercharge it but when I saw the syncro I thought I would rather supercharge that.

Lizard Racing- the manifold cost £800+vat and cat was £100+ vat

THANKS FOR ALL THE COMMENTS

• 3 weeks later...

went to santa pod on saturday to see how much of a difference the charger would make. previously i ran 15.7099 and cross the line at 86.38mph. now charged the best time i got was 14.3321 @ 93.81mph. reasonably happy with that (1.3778 difference), next time i go i hope to have a set of 16" rather than the 17" on and not to be carry as much petrol. target next year to break 14sec

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got it on a rolling road at stealth in the week and it managed to get 271.1bhp and 235.6 on the first run bit me and Vince agreed ot could get more. So after a few more runs and Vine working his magic it ran 283.2bhp and 238.5 Ib ft. Happy with that but was told with a better back box should get a little more.

Also removed the side skirts and found a bit of rust and lots of glue. I wanted to get the spoiler sprayed and I got a new JOM grill so got them sprayed and the sills sorted at the same time.

No more plans for the rest of the year apart for so new wheels ..... I think?

Happy with that but was told with a better back box should get a little more.

Couldnt tell from the pics but do you still have the cats on there? I gained 25bhp when I ditched the 2 cats and suitcases and got a custom centre section made at H&S that went from 2 pipes at the downpipe into 1 and then straight through to a small box before the back box

the H&S centre section was nearly £400 iirc... I had a standard exhaust manifold & down pipe, H&S made the bit from there to the back box which was a remus one already on the car when I bought it. They basically made a y shaped bit that took it into a single pipe with just a small rear silencer to try and keep the noise down made a load of difference to the feel and sound of the car

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Finally got round to sorting a 3†exhaust system. Dropped it of at Hayward and Scott last week and picked it up yesterday and very happy with it. Very quite until you put your foot down. And also lowered the back a little to better match the front but still needs to go lower but not until I get the arches rolled and some 16s. Hopefully all sorted in time for GTI Spring Festival at Santa Pod.

DSC01446.jpg

DSC01447.jpg

DSC01449.jpg

DSC01450.jpg

Hi Stu, with a syncro I wouldnt recommend getting the wrong stud pattern.

An adaptor kit will be:

a) heavy

B) the wrong offset

c) not as safe

If I had a charged VR then i'd 100% have the right wheels for the car. My old 16" BBS was very wide etc the car had over 210bhp and I certainly knew the limits to the safety of the wheels.

I know waiting until you see the right wheels pop up might pee u off but It'll be the best thing you've ever done.

I have seen this car before you had it and by the sounds of it your doing all the right things it needed - So top man nice work!!

Maybe some S3/TT brakes and smooth the bumpers and it'll be one of the nicest VR's around!!

Paul1982-

I might go for some merc wheels for show and something thats a bit safer for the daily drive and track. As for the body work, in the future carbon bonnet, wings, boot, smooth bumpers and audi door handle. but not for a while. I've got loads i want to do, inside as well but its a long term project.

sparkz-

Units 10 & 11 Nobel Square • Burnt Mills Industrial Estate • Basildon • Essex SS13 1LS

Tel (0)1268 727256 • Fax (0)1268 590772 • Email sales@haywardandscott.co.uk

I'll try and get some pics of the pipe over the rear been by the end of the week.

Hi Stu,

The carbon route is good, but cheap carbon never fits perfect and it’s a case of 'you pay is what you get'.

You don’t seem like the type that goes cheap so hopefully you wont be disappointed with the result. Saying that, if the car was only a track car then who cares about looks carbon everything and save that weight (but its not just a track car).

One thing I’ve found out about the VR is, most of the body roll comes from the roof being so heavy.

All highlines have sunroofs and the steel around them is very strong BUT HEAVY.

The reason the M3 CSL carbon’d the roof was because every KG you save above the engine height increases ten fold cornering.

Sorry what I mean is, its not about weight saving, it was meant for weight saving in the right place. The lack of weight on the roof allowed the M3 shell to lower its centre of gravity. Ultimately the M3 CSL takes seconds off the standard M3 around a track for this reason alone.

This is just a quick search for a roof skin for you:

http://www.performance-trim.com/search.php?category_id=17&brand_id=12

Luckily a carbon roof can’t really not fit properly as it needs to be bonded back into place, so they have to get it right.

If that was my car I’d go:

External:

1) Big brake upgrade (front and rear as its 4WD)

2) Carbon roof

3) Carbon Bonnet

4) Carbon Boot

5) Carbon Doors (This is the biggest weight saving area)

(wings are pointless as the weight saving is minimal)

6) Smoothed front bumper, Smoothed rear bumper (plus get a rear diffuser as on the syncro there is a lot going on under there - Even though I removed my rear spoiler for looks I’d keep it on you car as downforce is a must when removing weight)

7) Then have them all painted to look OEM

Internal:

1) Light weight front seats: My personal option would be to convert the Corsa VXR seats as they are Ideal:

http://www.carcn.net/Files/RoUpFiles/20071/20071573634d.jpg

2) Porsche Sport Suede steering wheel or possible on OMP one.

And that’s it lol :-)

Lol as you can see I’m living my VR6 days through other people these days!! Shocking how I miss mine :-(