mk4 4motion head gasket

You can't. You use a 12V metal gasket.

The confusion about the 4Motion comes from people calling it a "MK4 gasket". In America, MK4 Golfs had a 12V VR6 with a thin metal gasket. Over here, we only got a 24V in our MK4s.

Stealth racing sell the Victor Reinz metal gaskets for VR6s. It's the only one to use. Don't use the Elring one, they leak....although curiously, if you take the Reinz one out of the wrapper, it has Elring written on it! Bizarre......

Is that really true about the elring head gasket, just about to to put my head back on with one, only using it becasue thats what was on last time and was fine, but it is actually a reinz one in an elring wrapper??

I've used 3 Elrings and on each occasion, the gasket weeped oil at the pulley end. Stealth Racing experienced the same problem on several head rebuilds.

I tried permatex copper adhesive spray on an Elring (as did Stealth) and the problem remained.

The last gasket I did was a Reinz one with copper spray and it's been perfect for over 15K now.....

A lot of the leaking is down to head and block surface imperfections, but the reinz gasket and permatex certainly help enormously.

Kev, a couple of my bores are scored, there's oil dripping all over the place them too, I've been told the oil rings have gone, because its not 'scraping' the bore on the down stroke, got to take the block back to stealth for further inspection, im not sure why its happened yet, hopefully when I get to see the bores with the head off and stuff I'll get a better idea.. :(

use the metal headgasket from a sharan vw part number 021 103 383 N

3 layered gasket, i got rid of the middle layer for a steel spacer 9:1cr running 11psi boost 11k miles no probs

as it goes i just bought another one today for the 2.9 bottom end just under £50

use the metal headgasket from a sharan vw part number 021 103 383 N

3 layered gasket' date=' i got rid of the middle layer for a steel spacer 9:1cr running 11psi boost 11k miles no probs

as it goes i just bought another one today for the 2.9 bottom end just under £50

[/quote']

From VW?.. probaly the same make and gasket that C2 geeza ^^ is selling??? How much you selling them for C2? Ive brought one of the ones that leak lol (do you think it would be unfair to sell it on on ebay)

We have used Wossner pistons in numerous engines' date=' all with conciderable miles on now. There doesnt appear to be a problem.

[/quote']

I agree, there doesn't seem to be a general problem as my Stealth built wossner block is also still going strong. It doesn't take much to over heat cyl 1 or 6 with these engines and nick the bore.

I learned that the hard way with my JE block. Pete's engine I believe received a darn good thrashing round the Nurburgring :-)

1 and 6 also have the smallest coolant surface area.

It's also partly to with fuelling. The 24V has it's injectors half way down the inlet tract on the rear bank to precisely match the injector to intake valve distance across all 6. If all 6 receive exactly the same fuel / air mix, then they all run at the same temperature. 1 and 6 run slightly lean on the VR6, more so 1 as C2 said.

You can of course add more fuel to the rear bank, software / hardware dependant obviously. I add 3% more fuel to the rear bank.