16v box on a vr?

Im geting my timing chains done next week and i was wondering as iv got the gearbox off what would it be like sticking a gearbox from a 16v on it, my brothers done it to his mk2 vr but have not yet driven it as its not ready yet but he says it will bring the gearing down so it will rip throu the gears and anyhow where are you going to hit 140+.

Has anyone on here got one on there vr? if so is it worth it? does it make a real differance?

is there anything else id need to know or is it a case of just bolting it on.

I know some places to do 140 :-d But as you say its the acceration which is the fun bit

Id be intrested in finding this out... A VR in a Mk2 and in a Mk3 are the same so your best bet is to ask your brother what he did to get them together.

If its a Mk3 16v box then the gearbox mount and gearchange is in the same place.. You might have to swap over to the 16v cluch and flywheel..

• 3 months later...

Ha ha i started the thread back in feb and a lots changed sins then....

i had the chains and cluch done only for the bottom end to walk off with a bang

new engines in now and its a right peach and im looking into keeping it N/A but getting as much as i can out of it

so please keep the info coming as i will be doing this soon.

Ha ha i started the thread back in feb and a lots changed sins then....

i had the chains and cluch done only for the bottom end to walk off with a bang

new engines in now and its a right peach and im looking into keeping it N/A but getting as much as i can out of it

so please keep the info coming as i will be doing this soon.

bloody hell not havin much luck are you!

in a way its the best thing that could have happend,

didn't realy know how bad my old engine was until the new one was put in, the new one's easly a second faster up to 60 and easly get wheel spin when changing in to second now.....and its sooo quite too.

New set of cams and a remap before the end of the year fingers crosed plus this gearbox idea would make a right sleeper.

well thats the plan anyho

its been ad gone now mate - it only had like an hour left when i posted up on here - you can find 16v boxes quite often on ebay tho mate - its just a vr fitment guide that would be useful! ill kep my eyes peeled as it sounds like it could be quite a decent little tweek cos its very rare im doin over a ton 10.

Think swaping the final drive over is supposed to be a really good mod' date=' seen it quite a few times on here, something im gonna look at in the future

[/quote']

Yes I can confirm this is probably the best mod I've done for the VR upto yet! totally changed the car, and accelerates very hard now.

Pete

i dont think ive got a vr box in mine' date=' it does 60/2nd, 85/3rd, 110/4th and ive had 143 in 5th not flat out??? gearing seems a bit low..??

maybe ive a 16v box??

[/quote']

possibly! mine does 103 in 3rd and 120ish in 4th