Right finally ordered a new engine for my VR6, mine had 65k on the clock before the camshaft went and I was adviced to get a new engine (gutted). I've ordered one from the same year, same engine no. and 71k on the clock for £370 delivered on Monday. How much do you recon they would charge to strip it and rebuild or will I just get it slung straight in there??

I got a used engine to strip for parts to rebuild mine with and it was pretty rough. Timing chain guides were in bits and the big end bearings had a few marks on them. It had 120k on it though so i expected it to be a bit rough. And i had to pay £350 + vat for it but came with 2 month guarantee.

yep i can vouch for that took rocker of jez new supposedly 80000 mile engine today to be confronted by the worse looking vr engine inside that ive seen his 140000 mile engine is looking better inside so im gonna be screaming at the company that sold him it tomorrow and telling them to come and collect and give money back .and try and get some compensation for hassle that they have caused cos i now got a beautiful white engineless vr taking up space in my workshop til we can source another engine i reckon its done more like 180000 at least by looking at it.(new engine that is)

RCF you were right..........it's a bag of nails :(:(

Sorry to hear that Jez. I had a look at your VR after I left you at the Pod last time round. I can see why swapping engines is your solution of choice. You've done one hell of a lot of work on your shell. Nice job.

Could you post the engine number and suppliers details to protect other members if the engines starts 'doing the rounds'.

TG

Well after moaning at the suppliers of engine known as FENNLAND BREAKERS and having them try to fob us off and being assured they would pick it up today which the havnt done and having them say that they would be charging for the collection if nothing is wrong which they will no doubt try to claim if the do come and collect ,i figured it was worth 10 mins of my time to whip off the top chain cover and get some pics of the tensioner rail oh and they assured me that engine defo didnt rattle so heres a couple of pics to see what you guys think.oh and i have engine number at work so i will post up that aswell soon.

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1195848644_515_FT206245_knackered_vr_engine_008.jpg]1195848644_515_FT206245_knackered_vr_engine_008_.jpg[/lightbox]

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1195848699_515_FT206245_knackered_vr_engine_009.jpg]1195848699_515_FT206245_knackered_vr_engine_009_.jpg[/lightbox]

Ive also not come acrross a vr before that is this black inside head they are generally golden even jezmoz 140000 engine is golden inside . clearly this engine has not been looked after properly and i for 1 would not be wasting my time fitting it .

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1195848882_515_FT206245_knackered_vr_engine_002.jpg]1195848882_515_FT206245_knackered_vr_engine_002_.jpg[/lightbox]

Oh yes and even the top guide rail is knackered i dont believe this engine has only done 83000 from my experince with vrs but if it has its done it on the same oil it left the factory with is my reckoning.

[lightbox=../../e107_files/public/1195849800_515_FT206245_knackered_vr_engine_003.jpg]1195849800_515_FT206245_knackered_vr_engine_003_.jpg[/lightbox]

• 2 weeks later...

whats that for copper full rebuild with block being sorted with new piston rings big end little end bearings chains tensioners the works or what im curious as to what excactly you get for that sort of price because to fully rebuild a vr properly with everything that would be needed that sounds a bit cheap mate unless you are doing it yourself and thats just the price of the bits and the rehone of block if bores are ok .