Golf VR6 for £3k

I am in the fortunate position that I will be looking to buy a Golf VR6 in the next few weeks after I sell my 1996 8v GTi.

My budget will be about £3k. Will this amount get me a nice tidy car? I'm not too fussed about it being a highline but I want a car with air-con and would have to be a OBD2 model. There are quite a few on Auto Trader at the moment and they all seem to be around the 100k miles mark. Is this because of owners wanting to sell the cars before the timing chains need replacing?

Thanks in advance.

Tim

no most vr6's are at the 100k mark, due to there age BUT if looked after well they can do twice that,

mine is an odb2 and it has done 112k on the same clutch and chains,

i think its the odb2 that can last up to 140k on the same chains and tensioners but they need changing around then as the tensioners are plastic and wear out !,

you should be able to get a car under 100k and a highline obd2 for that price now tbh, may not be imaculate and rust is going to be on 90% them. higline or speced up normal vr is best cus heated leather is suburb tbh, its a godsend in the winter , infact all year around i use it, cold summer mornings ect... check: buyers guide

I paid £2695 for my OBD1 on a 95(M) plate. Full leather interior which has obviously been added. 102k. It has been extremely well looked after and original paint work. Got the usual chips and scratches but she is solid. I been over every part of her and on a ramp and the only bit of rust is on the inner drivers side seal just by the trim. Common place.

A good find really as she has full service history from new all done at VW garages.The only downside is the chain & tensioners have not been done. I am guessing they are due. Expensive?

Sean :)

Should be able to get a real nice car for that money, rare colours like grey and silver are worth looking out for, and if it were me i would hold out for a car with RECAROs over any factory leather too, Unfortunately there are fairly rare but not impossible to find, in an ideal world a silver or grey car with climate and recaros, infact just like how mine was specced would be best IMO

patience is the key man, you have to wait untill the right car comes along, took me near a year to source another vr6 golf and was lucky to touch for a 76k highline in black magic pearl ( think thats the right name of colour) , i nearly gave up the search and went rwd but missed my last vr6 too much to buy anything else! £3.5k will get a good one but id be reluctant to pay that kind of cash for a 130k + miler without seeing receipts for things like water pump, chains, altenator etc etc, be a nightmare to shell out that money only to have to throw more money at it every month!