Guys,

have just had to park the VR up and get the tube to work, gutted.

Was cruising along at 50mph on the gas, but not hard, and suddenly a complete loss of power and a horrible horrible noise coming from the engine.

At first i thought manifold but a quick check leads me to think the engine is holed, does this sound like the symptoms to you guys. It hasnn't lost any fluids and still runs but like i say sounds like a tank and has no power at all.

Any comments appreciated

Cheers

Ok, you need to figure out in your head if the car is making a knocking/banging noise. A distinctive knock will all most certainly mean a major failure.

If the engine is running, it wont be chain related as the engine needs the head to work for the combustion process and without the chain, the engine wont run.

You'd know if you had a thrown rod, the car would be bleeding all over the road!

Will the car idle/tick over?

car will idle but is very lumpy and smells like running rich' date=' no oil or coolant loss either.

[/quote']

this still sounds like coil pack to me ????

your question earlier - "what does the coil pack do" - it makes the spark plugs fire, so symptoms of failure are

lumpy running

will only just idle (very lumpily)

no power

no oil or coolant loss

smells of petrol as (probably) 2 cyls will not be firing

it also would happen suddenly as said

and they do go pretty frequently on vr's..

would a coil pack failure cause the car to become so so loud though even on a lumpy tick over it sounds bad' date=' i mean i think you could hear the VR miles away!!

[/quote']

mine sounded like a scooby when I wasnt fireing on all six.

cabrioman,

Have stuck my head under the bonnet tonight and it does have a coil pack so fingers croessed its that thats up the swanny.

mate if you could come down over the weekend that would be tops any time to suit you and i'll make sure i'm about, just of the a3 so should be an easyish ride.. Would it make life easier if i took the old unit out or best to hear her running?

mod edit: removed address info and contact details, pm the details instead, its safer.

Moderator edit by: VR6Pete