HELP!!!! snapped bonnt cable

PLEASE HELP ME. the cable snapped for my bonnet release and the bonnet is shut, can anyone tell me of a way to get it open without destroying the front of my baby i think its snapped either at the bonnet end or in the middle coz its still attatched to the handle

easy to do i done it myself the other day,try to take the grill off, once the grill is off look in the middle off the bonnet and just under the catch there is two 10mm bolts,quite hard to see but use a torch,get a long extension and rachet and undo the bolts,once out the bonnet will lift up about six inches which enables you to release the catch,usally the cable comes apart by the o-s-f suspension turret,mine did, hope this helps,good luck!

grill is clipped in. get the torch and screwdriver out (wrapped in tape) get comfy and you can see the little black plastic clips.

The cable is a 2 part affair and has a plastic clip box on drivers wing. Check here as it opens or comes off its' mount. tie-wraps are the answer!

can be a bit fiddly but a little time and it will open as blackmagicvr said

Must be a different car to mine then because i couldn't get the grill(2 bar fk) off without breaking all the top clips, normally you need the bonnet up to get at the clips. The bolts that attach the bonnet realese lock are hidden behind a fibre glass shroud and a metal T bar. I had to hack through the fibre glass to get to the bolts. A body shop told me after that they could have got in withour damaging the slam panel, although they didn't tell me how. Good luck, when you sort it Tie wrap the adjoing section which will have sprung open and relaesed the cable. Big design fault!!

UPDATE:::: i managed to get the bonnet open after much jiggery and plenty of pokery, eventually snapped 2 tabs and the bottom of the grill but it cam off without completly destroying it, BUT as for getting to the 2 10mm bolts, yeah right, i tried every socket, spanner combination i had i even bent a 10mm into a zig zag without getting the bolts out, eventually cut the right hand side front off the gaurd and popped the bonnet in about 10 seconds, i think though i have established a way to get the bonnet open in future if it happens to anyone else, after carefully measuring and lots of looking i came up with the following, but will only work if you have the stock grill

#1- cry, lots

#2- wipe your eyes and remove vw badge, if you have the stock grill,

#3- drill one 10mm hole directly in the centre of the gaurd partially taking out some of the front and some of the bottom. just to the right of the metal support bar.

#3 look up inside the hole for a small L shaped fork drectly behind the second release catch on the right.

#4 poke this with a screw driver.

#5 thank god you didnt have to destroy your car

#6 use lots of cable ties to hold that useless connector block together on the drivers side inner wing

• 8 years later...

Hi folks,

Not too sure if anybody will see this...if not I'll post a new topic.

Anyways...yes it's happened to my VR6...yesterday I wanted to pop the bonnet to check the checkables and found that when I pulled the bonnet release handle nothing at all happened apart from the handle becoming nigh on horizontal but no joy in opening the bonnet.

I've had a read of all the above posts and proceeded to remove the VW badge(still got the stock grill)...but that's where unfortunately I'm somewhat stumped.There is already a small hole visible but I'm not sure whether that was drilled previously by another owner,or perhaps it was put there by VW themselves!?

I've attached a picture that I've taken of the metal guard? to see if anybody can shed any light on it...failing getting it open myself it might have to be a garage jobby on Monday.

Cheers.

Oooo k...Can't manage to attach an image...I'll post this and try and find out how to do it.