Water shooting out of header tank.

Hi I recently purchased a '97 Golf VR6 . I've been told by the previous owner that there is a problem with the cooling system. He was driving it home one day when a load of steam came out of the engine bay.He instantly thought that this was the head gasket and hasn't driven it since. I purchased the car as a project for a couple of hundred quid to see what I can do with it. After getting it home I fileed it up with water and put it up on the ramps and left it running. Once hot, water started shooting out of what looks like an overflow on the header tank. A mechanic friend said that it could well be a blocked thermostat. Does anyone else have any ideas??

Regards.

Anthony.

this all sound like what happened to mine exsactly the same symptoms and i wasted so much money doing what your about to do changed the water pump as i though the impelers could be broken, wasnt that but changed ut any way while it was out then changed the thermostat and still the same also changed the blue temp sensor then changed the expansion bottle cap still he same.

then finally done the head gasket then all was good.

after doing the head gasket the water started coming out the overflow agian but very slightly so i went to vw got another genuine cap and new bottle then its been perfect.

so i would advise getting a new genuine vw bottle,cap thing it was 30quid.

unless your extreemly lucky and it is the thermostat but unlikely.