Had an idea but need your opinions

Right here we go I had an idea today but it probably a stupid one , as my daily I use a L reg mk3 3 door small block 1.4 4 speed golf it goes really well and handles great the only thing I hate about it is the stupid 4 speed box

I wen to my local breakers (which is a the bigest one in lincs) and had a look round for a 5 speed box for it after an hour or so I finaly found one on a 96 polo, when I went to ask how much they wanted for it he said £150. I am bnugerd if I am spending that on a box just to get 5 gears on a daily.

So here is my idead buy a cheap mk3 vr with a good engine but kak shel and swap all the bits over. The only problems I can think are for doing the conversion are the wheels and brakes coz its on 4x 100 and as we know mk3 vr are 5 stud I wil need to get the hubs driled and welded, is this expensive to get done?

I dont want to spend any money if you know what I mean as its only a daily.

But I am sick of doing 80 mph and over 4g on the revo.

This is what I can think of at the mo that I would need to transfer

Engine/Box all atached to sub frame

Rad

ECU

Front half of the loom

Clocks

And all the other gunbins in the engine bay.

Can any one think of any major problems I would face doing this?

And also would I need to swap tank,fuel pump, fusebox, master cynlinder and servo?

Cheers

Anything is possible but like has been said, I see little point in doing the swap.

Would be a better option just to buy a cheap VR and go that route.

At the end of the day you will not get either option for next to nothing as you suggest....

Mark.

agreed, dont bother its a long and problematic route converting a "non" car of any sort into another type/engine/brakes etc etc, its so much easier just to buy a half decent VR6 and use that instead! i have seen older examples go for as litle as 1k, and you could probably get most of that back for your mk3 1.4 if its a nice car? some more thought needed on any conversion attempt.

Hum.... I see what your saying.

I did see a mk3 vr with a really ratty shel go on ebay for £400 I just thought if I buy something like that it wudnt take much to swap everything over.

Maybe like you say its a headache I dont need lol

If any one has any ideas omn how much work this would take please let me know.

pump, fuel lines, rear beam, brakes, suspension, exhaust, front panel, pedal box, rad, fans, header tank, hoses, clocks etcetcetc

Would be a mission, and if you do it yourself your still gonna be looking at £1k+, you could pick up an L reg VR for £500....

As others said - dont do it!

But, welcome to the forum!

Tom.

Hum... strange I was sure i posted before ohwel lol.

That list look's to big for me to be botherd.

there is nearly as much stuf needed as when i put the VR into my mk2.

Reckon I am gonna sel the mk3 as the 4 gears does my head in.

Out of interest does any one know what a mk3 16v GTi goes like?

Converting a mk3 from something else to a VR6 is only really worthwhile if:

- You've spent a fortune on non-removable body mods & a respray

- Your mk3 is an Estate or Cabrio, which were never available with the VR6 engine from the factory

- You get given the VR engine, gearbox, subframe etc. for nothing.

Otherwise, selling your car and buying a VR6 will be the cheapest and easiest option.

Converting a mk3 from something else to a VR6 is only really worthwhile if:

- You've spent a fortune on non-removable body mods & a respray

- Your mk3 is an Estate or Cabrio' date=' which were never available with the VR6 engine from the factory

- You get given the VR engine, gearbox, subframe etc. for nothing.

Otherwise, selling your car and buying a VR6 will be the cheapest and easiest option.

[/quote']

yes as above i would save the money sell the other car and then maybe buy a slightly better vr.

have u thort of gettin an 8v or 16v for a daily? my mate got a tidy P plate 16v for £900 in the summer (it had no tax and short MOT but passed with no probs), its still pretty good on petrol and just a bit quicker than the 1.4!