VRT MK1 Caddy (2 for the price of one & lots of pics)

I dont where to start this off really 8-| The begining would good guess so go and get a beer now (B)

Well, initially I was going to swap a whole Lancia Integrale running gear into my mint J plate Caddy! The reason being was because at the time I was fitting a VR6 into my brothers VR (B1GVR) and I wanted to be a little different, and with instant tuning potential and pre Lancia experience it seemed the obvious choice was to tuck the 2.0 16V Turbo Lampredi unit into the Caddy bay.

But my plan went tits up when I was offered a 1997 VR Golf with 60k and full VAG history that had unfortunately been rolled by its owner, £750 later and I was the proud owner of a bent mint VR :-d

NSF.jpg

OK, so now im committed to the VR so 1st thing to do was strip the poor ole girl down, I sold tons off stuff from the doner and quickly made double back on what I paid for her! Plus I had everything I needed for the conversion. "RESULT" :-p

At this point I had just finished my brothers VR Caddy which included fitting a Corrado dash.

bigvr1.jpg

bigvr2.jpg

bigvr3.jpg

bigvr4.jpg

bigvr5.jpg

Now just having completed a VR in a MK1 shell using custom mounts etc. You would think the next one would be a doddle!? Well yes and no, I decided to go gung ho on this one by cutting the front of the Caddy chassis off an re-fabricating it to accept the MK3 Subframe :o But I wasnt brave enough to cut up my mint J plate so I managed to blag a bruised but solid Caddy off of EBay for £75 ^o)

300903nsr.jpg

pro4.jpg

this truck was previously owned by Wiltshire county council and I swear I had half of wiltshire attached to it along with laminated "foot & mouth" posters :$

I got to work and started to strip it down and cut off the parts that were not required.

The engine bay as you would reconise it

engbay4_041003.jpg

After putting the angle grinder to work!

chassis2.jpg

Now I just had to work out the correct position for this

chassis9JPG.jpg

Well once I worked out the correct postion I had this

chassis38.jpg

Engine installed for the 1st time

engbay11_201003.jpg

After lots of work I got rid of the horrible mk1 brake linkage by moving the servo to the drivers side and fitting the ABS pump where the old servo was

engpaint02.jpg

engpaint03.jpg

Next it was time to tackle the MK3 dash install, at this point I had it in my mind to also fit the MK3 pedalbox and adjustable steering column, so I did!

pedalbox03_281003.jpg

In this pic as well as the dash crossmember you can see the partial part of the MK3 tunnel, it made sense to fit this as it gave me mounting points for the gear shift box and centre console, and it also allowed me to move the h/brake back to the corect position

041004_2.jpg

centreconsole.jpg

The fabrication work was now done for the best part, so I needed to turn my attention to the bodywork, this was the bit I wasnt looking forward too as although the Caddy was solid it was knocked about and didnt have one straight panel on it!

primertoday.jpg

prim04.jpg

pro11.jpg

pro13.jpg

rbh01.jpg

rbh03.jpg

aprpaint02.jpg

aprpaint07.jpg

aprpaint08.jpg

Now the paint is done it was time to start on the interior

aprdash01.jpg

aprdash03.jpg

at this point the project was taking soooo long that I thought fcuk it I'll fit the climatronic :-p

cl06.jpg

Time to make use of that false bulkhead

mayup05.jpg

Interior pretty much finished aprt from some detail

finmay07.jpg

interiorvor.jpg

18 months later

lock01.jpg

lock02.jpg

lock03.jpg

finmay06.jpg

The caddy has been in use every day now for nearly 2 years and over 20k miles without a single glitch, so in November I locked myself in the gargage for 2 days and fitted this:

vrt01.jpg

Theres still more work to do on the turbo side of things but needless to say im over the moon with the results so far :)

Al

Love reading things like this !

Superb work.

Looks like a stunner, lots of hard work gone into it. Always nice when it pays off though. I also think yoyu made a great choice in color ! Looks stunning :-)

What sort of power do you have or what figure are you aiming for ?

Mark.

Thanks for the positive comments guys.

Ive not had it on the dyno yet, I would be happy with 300bhp as I use the Caddy every day, im going to to relocate the I/C but the engine has to come out as I need to modify/remove the MK1 front crossmember, I was going to fit a short runner intake to tidy up the pipework, but for the above BHP its not necessary. I have just moved so dont have a garage at the mo which is a real PITA coz I want to get this done and start another project :-p

The colour is Met Urban Grey BTW. Its a 2000> Passat/Touran colour :)

[blockquote]iv seen one with metal beams in the back for suport, u considered tha?[/blockquote]

You mean the roll bars? (see below) If so nahhh, because they just add weight and no integraty to the chassis. Them is for builders ;)

Picture1111.jpg