mine ran out today :( was quite funny actually cos was in the centre of town and right in front of a traffic warden, so got him to help push to side of road. He said he wouldn't put a ticket on it and gave me a nice note saying that he was aware of the situation and had oked it to be parked on double yellows. so i went and did my shopping then went for fuel.

maybe i should try it all the time to save paying for parking.....lol

i used to use optimax but i noticed a gain in performance but less mpg can't afford it just now so back to 95 ron. if you use optimax make sure you use a station with a high turnover as it uses additives which settle over time

also used t use ultimate, but price was getting a bit to high at my local filling station so changed to esso super unleded ( bit cheaper so the old girl does a few more miles ;) ).. think thats about 97 ron, tbh not a great deal of difference between em.. so esso's the way forward :D

You wont notice any difference unless your cars are at the top end of tuning and have turbo chargers fitted.

Optimax - 98 Ron

BP Ultimate - 97.1 to about 97.5 RON (they *wont* gaurentee the rating ... make your own mind up)

Other SUL - 97 RON

UL - 95 RON

You only really need the higher octaine rating if you are suffering from pre-detination (knock). An n/a engine is unlikely to generate enough pressure/heat to cause this.

If you have a TMO/Pocketlogger/Other software monitoring device then please post up some figures. It will be easy to tell if the car performs any better from this.

I would say that a VR6 running better on Optimax was mostly a placebo. The best you could hope for was that the detergents in the Optimax were cleaning your injectors out more thourerly than the supermarket petrol we usually buy (i.e. the cheapest available...)

Adam

[ Edited Fri Jul 09 2004, 01:47PM ]