Oil Cooler....?

Thinking with the ring trip in mind I thought this might be a good idea ?

Anyone know what sort of cost parts are and how do you go about fitting it..... Does it just replace the oil filter ? Or is it moe in depth ?

Does it actually work that well ?

I would like to keep my Oil as low a temp as possible while running the ring, I have heard of temps reaching 140+ which I would crap myself if I saw that looking at me !

What would be a good average temp for a ring cruise ?

Mark.

LOL

If you replace the oil filter whats going to filter you oil????

I have a mocal cooler, its a bespoke kit made for my by the phirm and if you have aircon its the kit you'll need.

It replaces the oil/water heat exchanger with a thermostatic take off plate, and has the cooling rad in the front bumper.

My oil hasn't gone over 102 since I fitted it. Well worth the expense.

LOL

I have a mocal cooler' date=' its a bespoke kit made for my by the phirm and if you have aircon its the kit you'll need.

It replaces the oil/water heat exchanger with a thermostatic take off plate, and has the cooling rad in the front bumper.

My oil hasn't gone over 102 since I fitted it. Well worth the expense.

[/quote']

im interested too mate,what does ur oil temp sit at normally?

oil temp can vary on the quality of the oil if im not mistaken . changing your oil regulary is supposed to help keep temps down ? . if im wrong then someone please dont be scared correct me :) , its just something i heard someone mention once :)

oil temp can vary on the quality of the oil if im not mistaken . changing your oil regulary is supposed to help keep temps down ? . if im wrong then someone please dont be scared correct me :) ' date=' its just something i heard someone mention once :)

[/quote']

yup i change mine roughly every 3-4k miles and it drops the temp by 2-4 degrees

LOL

Well not knowing anything about it I thought that a new unit could perhaps cool and filter at the same time....... Surely a feasable thought ? hehe

If it's a custom built thing then it's got to be a bit costly right ?

LOL

Well not knowing anything about it I thought that a new unit could perhaps cool and filter at the same time....... Surely a feasable thought ? hehe

If it's a custom built thing then it's got to be a bit costly right ?

dont think thwere too bad mate,the std 'cooler' sits between the oil filter housing and the block,and it does ok,but the ones talked about here are like a tiny rad,and sit away from the block usually and help keep the temps down better

My temps sit around high 70's on normal driving, mid to high 90's when i'm giving it death.

The phirm the kit sell is a MOCAL kit, but it has a take off deigned by Tim to clear the aircon pipes. It was designed on my car, and its a perfect fit.

Sam's going to give me a shout with a price and i'll put it up here.

My temps sit around high 70's on normal driving' date=' mid to high 90's when i'm giving it death.

The phirm the kit sell is a MOCAL kit, but it has a take off deigned by Tim to clear the aircon pipes. It was designed on my car, and its a perfect fit.

Sam's going to give me a shout with a price and i'll put it up here.

[/quote']

Normal Temp for mine is High 80's to mid 90's and about 110 when driving hard...Not to the extent I maybe at the ring though :-)

A price would be much appreciated when you do get it :-) Thanks !

Mark.

I've got a 13 row Mocal on mine and the highest oil temp I saw at Donington was 118 ... doesn't go much higher than 85 on the road.

I kept the standard heat exchanger as it warms up the engine quicker, if your oil is too cold it can do just as much damage if the oil's too hot!

This is actually the kit I had on the mk2 16v but with the hoses fitted the other way round,and a longer 'bolt' that goes through the sandwich plate thanks to VR6Will...

IMO the thermostatic plate is a joke as the oil is always flowing through it, as soon as you start the engine you can feel the oil cooler rad getting warm, showing that the oil is *always* flowing through it...

vrmk202.jpg

IMO the thermostatic plate is a joke as the oil is always flowing

through it' date=' as soon as you start the engine you can feel the oil cooler rad getting warm, showing that the oil is *always* flowing through it...

[/quote']

Of course its getting warm, the oil isn't isolated, it just the plate just stops the oil flowing through the rad. By stopping it flow through the rad your stopping the oil being cooled before it needs to, apart from the small quantity thats already in there.

Also, for those that are interested, if you have air con its impossible to have the cooler and the heat exchanger as Gary has done.

It doesn't flow though Gary, it just sits!!!

Then the plate opens then it flows.

The Phirm will do the kits like mine for £120 +VAT

Thats a Mocal oil cooler kit, with a thermostatic take off plate.

If anyones interested give Sam a call on 08454 505760.

So is that the group buy price??? Is it fitted? ( I wish) is it the same as the pretty picture on the other page?

As my temp has climbed and sits higher than most and I am adding the s/c it makes sense for me to replace origional or fit this. Any ideas on cost of the original?

ETc.............