I'm in need of a new windscreen for my VR. Trunky & co use RAC windscreens but I remember reading a thread on here about them some time last year. I've tried searching for it but come up with nothing. I just wondered if anybody that's had their screen replaced has had a problem with the dark area at the bottom of the screen not being wide enough. It makes the edge of the dash and bulkhead visible from outside of the car. Not a good look imo. I hope that makes sense. *-)

Kevin

Yes it was me.

I had it replaced at autoglass, and the bottom shaded area was a bit short on the after market wind screen. So had it replaced with a genuine one, which was fine.

Some tips before you have it done.

1. Tell them you want a genuine vw windscreen, and don't listen to the crap that they are all made at the same place. And tell them to make sure it has the VW stamp on it.

2. Also show them the roof rubber that go down to the windscreen are flat on the roof and no damage is on them.

3. Show them the shaded area at the bottom of the windscreen, telling them that the dash board is not visable at all.

Hope this helps.

good advise ^^^ but if the fitters are anygood then they should know this stuff already

The fitter might be good, but if they are not very knowledgeable about the car then it dosen't help.

As the bit about the damage to the window rubbers, they managed to damage mine slightly taking the old windscreen out. So i had to explain the damage wasn't there before the windscreen had been replaced, and had to show them some pics of the car before, and explain that i enter the car for S&S comps so i know it was spot on before.

They did replace at the end but it's hassele you can do with out.

hi m8 i work for RCA autowindscreens in Newcastle make sure u get a vw windscreen as some that we make have a slightly smaller black band which is designed to stop u seeing bottom of dash and the glue when u take it in make sure they do a pr inspection so they put on the paper work any stonechips,dents,scratches (not saying your car has any)and the they should get u to sing it also they should use a bonnet,roof,interior and dash sheet to protect the car.

when u collect the car if there is any new damage that's not on the paperwork tell the manager and they will have to put it right also check headlining and trims for any tares from cutting it out.

Thanks for that Mark. I had it booked in with them for this coming Wednesday but I rung them a couple of days ago to say I wanted a genuine VW windscreeen. Guy on the phone tried to fob me off as expected, by saying "they're all the same". I wasn't having any of it. It's going to take at least another week because they have to order it from VW but that doesn't bother me as long as its the right one and its fitted properly. I will be checking and double checking everything before and after its done. 8-|

Must remember to look at my screen and make sure I got the right one !

I know the first one had to go back though as the rear view mirror had nowhere to go...

The new one had the fixture already bonded to the screen so I am guessing was the right one !

Mark.