Life after Schrick????

Ok peeps,

I had the lot done,the manifold,cams,chip,BMC induction kit,magnacor HT leads,new plugs and uprated engin mounts back in May and although i like the new torque and sound,i must admit that i'm a little dissapointed with the car.

It managed to produce 200bhp at Stealth but i'm already board and i have even put the car on Auto trader to guage some interest.If i had sold it i would have gone for an E36 M3 but i just got messed about and decided that i'de miss her too much so she' staying now.

Do you guy's feel that the money was well spent on your conversions and do you still get the grin factor when you drive your car or has it gone a little stale like mine??

As i'm keeping her now i'm gonna have to go all the way,uprated anti roll bars,better pads and discs,koni coilovers and either a turbo kit or a s/charger kit(need some advice on this one!!)

I've had VW's for 15 years now and i don't think i can bare to get rid of this one to be honest!!

Cheers,

Mike. :(

The supercharger is much better value imo. You can get 250+ hp and 235+ torque. The work you've had done must have cost £2k+ which is the cost of a charger. I think many schrick owners from the group buy would feel sick if they'd paid the full price

i happen to love my new found torque! with just the schrick/ramair/scorpion zorst and the unichip vince squeezed 209bhp and nearly 205lbs/ft outta my obd1! its got a 35lbs/ft gain at 3.5k and its sounds lika a rabid wolf on full chat now! love tha sound of the chargers and may be my next port of call, but am well happy with my vsr!

The supercharger is much better value imo. You can get 250+ hp and 235+ torque. The work you've had done must have cost £2k+ which is the cost of a charger. I think many schrick owners from the group buy would feel sick if they'd paid the full price

From talking to people with chargers its not just a matter of paying £2k, bolting it on and bingo 250bhp... ask jcorallo ;)

Guest Olly_K

dont get me wrong, im very happy with the car. seriously, it pulls like a train. Its just not enough ! the car is so driveable. All i will say is i wish i had done more research or found this site before i bought mine because i wouldnt of now. But there you go. Thats life, I'm gonna make the best of mine and hopefully get an m3.

Sometimes i dont think i can feel how fast it is in the drivers seat. sometimes i think you need to be taken for a ride in your own car to get a feel of how fast it is

I must admit the moment i put her in the Auto trader i wished i haddn't,She dosen't get driven much due to me takeing the train to work(Northants-London) and when we get the odd sunny weekend i get the R6 out,just seems to be a bit of a waste really.I'll have to have a rethink about her befor i make my mind up!

Cheers,

Mike. :(

I had the Schrick manifold fitted along with 264 cams and a BMC filter.

The extra power (dyno'd at 210bhp with 207lb-ft) is still keeping me entertained for now. I love the noise and all that wheelspin going into 2nd (perhaps I'm just a hooligan).

Eventually, I will get bored with it though, 'cos that's always the way, but the mods have bought the car some extra "shelf life" while I save up for my Audi RS4.

To see what I mean about getting bored, drive around in a slow car (company car or a hire car on holiday) for a couple of weeks, then get back into your VR6 and see how quick it feels!

As for forced induction, It always works out very expensive unless the engine is designed to run it from the factory. Running a s/c or turbo with an otherwise standard engine restricts the boost you can run, hence the power. Upping the boost to "serious grin" levels means fitting a spacer plate between the head and block, or, better still, dished pistons. Then you have to think about uprating the fuelling. And the gearbox. And the brakes. You can end up spending £5k without even thinking about it. So it's not really comparabe to the £2k manfold+cams route.

[ Edited Thu Jul 01 2004, 10:06AM ]

From talking to people with chargers its not just a matter of paying £2k' date=' bolting it on and bingo 250bhp... ask jcorallo ;) [/quote']

The deciding factor as to how much power you get from a charger kit is the chip.

I dont think my case is a good example as I'm sure I had the wrong chip for my charger from early on. :(

I originally bought a ZR1 kit, but then upgraded to a ZR2 unit within 6 months - but kept the same chip. I think this is where things started to go wrong as the ZR2 makes more boost for starters.

So - long story short - got it re-mapped properly and everybody is happy now!

So if you buy a kit, it should make the advertised 250bhp, as long as you have the right chip.

Jules

The current supercharger kits are designed to be used on standard engines and you can probably run up to 10 psi without using a spacer. Most of the time they are only running at low boost, so a healthy engine can cope with this all day as long as the head gasket is ok and the chip is properly mapped.

Yeah they're Schricks. Brand new. I might sell them, I'm really not sure yet. I want to try a car that has them on + the manifold first to see what it's like.

I've heard you get an even bigger wallop at 3500 and then an even bigger dip and then off it goes again!

Give me a few days to mull over it. You've got first refusal if I do sell. I'll let them go for £450+carriage.