Hi Can anyone help with a problem that has developed on my wife's vento vr6

Simply it will not start when the key is turned, the ignition comes on and nothing happens when you try to start it

I have removed and tested the starter motor and it is working as it should

I have now replaced the starter motor and i can start the car by putting a wire from the live of the battery and touching that on the small wire that comes off the solonoid (starting wire)

Does anyone know of any relay's etc that could be causing the ignition flick to be dead

Thanks all

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

check fuse 15, 10amp engine electronics supply, and relay 3, engine control module. Of course you probably just have a dud ingnition switch, very common on a mk3 year mate.

Tack a light, or a meter to the thin red wire at the starter solenoid and ground the other lead of the light or meter, then turn the key to START - if the lamp or meter does not react, the ignition switch is faulty or a fuse has blown, check the high current fuses not marked in the main fusebox, above it ina bundle and in the engine bay near the passenger strut.

Hi, FlySpeck

WoW!! THANK YOU for the quick reply, it is very much appreciated, this is doing my head!!

What I have tried so far,

I have removed and checked the starter motor, including the usual suspect braided solenoid lead. All working OK, replaced it cleaning all earth connections. I have checked as many fuses as I can find and everything appears to work including the alarm (Clifford) I have also tried a new ignition switch.

However when I turn the key nothing from the starter or solenoid just silence.

If I bridge the starter motor the car starts.

I have not checked any relays as I did not know if there were any starter motor ones and if so where they were located!

I will check the fuses and relay 3 as you suggest, being rather tired/frustrated! Please could you confirm the location of fuse 15,10amp engine electronics supply and relay3, engine control module?

Thanks again, you have given me new hope!!