Ariel rubber surround

Could have sworn i'd posted this, but can't have registered cos I can't find it anywhere ?!

Does anyone have the problem of the small rubber surround at the base of the ariel coming off ?!

At the split at the rear one side never seems to hold its position and also the two ends don't meet.

I have to remove it before I wash my car cos I know it'll come off anyway, also it holds water like a good'un so in someways its better cos I can leather the car down and then put it back on, maybe its not so bad afterall :P

Yeah mine's done this ~:( ........and now this ~:( ~:( &| &| ....after a very high spirited drive back form oxford with one of my best mates in his new vr..........vrsi old one to be precise ;)marks_vr6_0011_copy.jpg

[ Edited Sun Jun 27 2004, 12:56AM ]

I have noticed the rubber surround on mine is starting to split' date=' can this be easily replaced?[/quote']

Is that split at the rear, or round the circumfrence, cos its got to be put on somehow, lol

I'm sure they can be replaced, can't be much more than a few quid, its just how a new one would be fixed in position, should it sit there by itself or be glued on, in which case you could just glue the old one back on.

Tom, sorry for being dumb, but can't really tell what you are pointing out mate? Is there a strip missing down the side of the windscreen? Can't remember without looking at mine.

[ Edited Sun Jun 27 2004, 08:20PM ]

Pittuf wrote: ...

I'm sure they can be replaced, can't be much more than a few quid, its just how a new one would be fixed in position, should it sit there by itself or be glued on, in which case you could just glue the old one back on.

yes sure you are right, I would guess the base section of the ariel unscrews, and the rubber section can then be replaced?

TBH mate, I thought the split at the rear was there so it could be put on without taking the ariel off, (thats what I was trying to get at, should have been less cryptic, lol) The split on mine at the rear is a cut, will check the ETKA, hold on.

spoke to my local dealer today.....he said you cant just buy the rubber surround ~:( and if any of you ever lose the rubber gutter off your mk3 dont bother asking vw how much a replacement is as its £125 per side &| .....scrap yard charged £15 :)