After thinking long and hard about what to buy for my next car, I decided to stick with VW. Despite the horror stories about VW Dealers, it was the only choice. As good as some of its competitors are, they all look horrible compared to a Golf. Why is it that other manufacturers seem to think a hatchback should look like an MPV that's been shrunk in the wash? Nasty.

Anyway, it's a 2002 GTi Anniversary model in black magic (same colour as the VR Highline) with the 1.8T 180BHP engine.

It's a total minter and has only done 30k (it's been garaged for the last year!). I'm chuffed to bits with it.

Even after being used to a cam'd & remapped VR6 (I haven't driven the cabby much since the charger went on), the performance does not disappoint. More pull at low revs and slightly less at the top end. No big deal.

And it's just so quiet and smooth. Lovely recaro interior too.

Anyone selling their VR and looking for a logical replacement could do a lot worse than one of these.

IMG_1857Small.jpg

IMG_1858Small.jpg

No plans to mod the engine at present, but it will be getting a full TV/DVD/MP3/Navigation system soon...

Yep, I'm no fan of the tinted rear windows either - I want it to look totally OEM. I take it any bodyshop would be able to remove the tints for me?

The R32 Aristo wheels would look good on it, but the Anniversary BBS RCs are rarer. We'll have to see! Maybe I could keep the Aristos and use them as "winter wheels".

VR40, I'm not surprised at your victory - a VR6 at 4500RPM+ is a formidable force, more than a match for the Anni and most other hot hatches to be honest. The more bottom-heavy power delivery of the 1.8T will actually take some getting used to after driving VRs for almost 5 years!

Yep' date=' I'm no fan of the tinted rear windows either - I want it to look totally OEM. I take it any bodyshop would be able to remove the tints for me?

[/quote']

I'm sure read somwhere that you can take them out yourself. Espically a man of your tallent will have no problems doing it.