This is probably a question for the more experienced car ppl in the forum, but any help is appreciated. i was wondering how the brake servo mechanism works, is it attatched to the pedal box in any way, or is it just a pipe from the brake pedal. also could it be relocated or replaced with an uprated item, mine is fine but i want to move it to another area in the engine bay. would it just be a case of relocating the brake fluid resevoir, master cylinder, and servo and extending the pipe to the pedal?

as far as im aware there is a rod on end ov peddle which pushes into servo so i think this might be a bit hard for you mate im sure if im wrong some1 will put me right but this is how it works on the majority ov vehicles ive come across.

yeah, ive been researching, and it does look as tho its connected by a rod. bugger. cheers kilo. does anyone know of an aftermarket remote servo kit. as i think the turbo kit i want will foul the servo, and just want to make sure it can be moved if necessery once ive tried the kit.

The pushrod at the top of the pedal is directly connected to the servo. You cannot relocate it easily without using some elaborate E30 BMW or MK1 Golf torsion beam cross-linkage system. Besides which, direct pedal to Servo linkages offer the best pedal feel and braking force. Moving it would reduce the braking force. You could always lose the servo altogether and implement a servoless racing dual-master cylinder system. You would need to give the pedal a firm shove though!

[ Edited Thu Jun 17 2004, 10:58PM ]

dont fancy losing the servo, im a lazy git and cant do with stamping on the brake like fred flintstone when i wanna slow down. lol. guess ill just have to have a look at the turbo setup and if it fouls rethink the whole servo thing. problem is, the only way i can check if it will fit, is to buy it and ship it over from canada, lol. so if it doesnt fit im fkd. is there another servo in the VAG range that is smaller, (thinner) and would fit the car, or do they all use the same size servo?

LOL, I know what you mean! Standard VR 280 brakes are pretty poor on the initial bite anyway, so you'd only make matters worse tampering with it! I've yet to see a VR turbo kit that interferes with the brake servo. It's buried deep in the offside firewall corner, so it would take a very hefty setup to foul it! What stuff are you using? Seen your avatar, is that the kit? I think you'll be OK to be honest. You might have fouling issues with the brake fluid resevoir, but there are easy solutions to that little problem!

http://www.kineticmotorsport.com/

thats the kit im getting, and the only problem i think id have is with the servo, and maybe the steering rack. the little pipe that comes from the firewall.

i took some measurements from different points to look at clearance, im just waiting on a reply from brian at kinetic with his measurements, he said theres plenty of space in the lhd, but hes never worked on a rhd so wouldnt know.

also, what would you recomend for the brake fluid resevoir? can i fit it remotely and just have the pipes run to it? or would you recoment one from a different vw model, with a different shape. thanks for the help kev. greatly appreciated. your just a wealth of knowledge

i'd deffo say mod the turbo kit instead.

the pushrod goes through the servo in to the MC.

you will loose shit loads of pedal feel and brake performance if you relocate it such as novas do.

the 280's do have poor instant pedal feel...my girlie almost nudged my vr6 into a wall cause of it...and i smack my head on the windscreen the first time i brake in her polo!

i've raced cars without servos (such as the one in my sig), and they require shit loads of pedal effort...thought its not so bad when you havce the brakes warm (and by warm, i mean so hot that the brake smell intoxicates you!), and its harder to lock a wheel....but its not really suitable for road use i'd say.

Yeah I see what you mean mate, close isn't it!

Have you got the kit yet? I think the only way to be sure is offer up the manifold and turbo and see what it fouls. If it *does* foul the servo, that's going to be a royal pain in the butt. If it does clear the servo it looks like it will almost certainly foul the fluid resevoir in which case, yep, run a remote resevoir from the scuttle area with pipes going to the master cylinder.

Are there any other kits you could try that are known to clear RHD servos? Like EIP for example?

i havent yet ordered the kit, hes still waiting for the first batch of manifolds. it will be about 2 months befor i purchase the kit, but im just trying to cover my bases so i can have a fairly trouble free install.

ive looked at all of the kits i could find, and none look as nice as this one. i could go to designadubs and have it done, but the kits are all new gear, designadubs use 2nd hand manifolds to customise, and 2nd hand subaru/porsche turbos. so decided against that. this kit just looks very well designed, and apart from an intercooler kit, it has everything i need really. apart from a thinner servo. lol. i think im just going to bite the bullet and go for it. i suppose theres always the possability of finding a smaller turbine housing and having that replaced, but only if its mm's from clearing. thanks for all your help on the issue. ill probably ask you for assistance once ive got the kit. lol. cos i know your good for ideas. he he.