i think my piston rings are showing early signs of wear the head was rebuilt 8-9k ago new valve seals chains tappets and cams etc the car runs absolutely spot on (i mean REALLY nice smooth as hell and pulls clean from tickover it sure as hell isnt losing any power (14.6 1/4 mile tells me that) its using more oil than id like prob 1l every 2.5-3k (it was using 1l per 1k but new oil pump 1500 miles ago settled it down) i went to london saturday 400 mile round trip at rather high speed for long periods and it used 1/2 a litre since having the pump done iv not seen any puffs of smoke in the mirror but my mate has noticed a tiny bit at santa pod just as u turn off the track (slowing through the gears) any ideas or am i paranoid

I think you,ve got three options in a case like this and it all boils down to chash and what you want to do with the car at the end of the day.

When my rings went I had already had the head completely rebuilt so I didn't really have a choice. But seeing as you know the bottom end is on it's blessed way out you could:

1. Just replace the rings and flog the car asap!

2. Rip the whole engine out and get a second hand unit (get a warrantee!) This would be the cheapest way to do it if you're working on a tight budget and want to keep the car.

3. (the way I did it, but not the cheapest!) Have the engine out re-bore to 2.9, replace all the shells and bearings (as you're engine wont just need rings!), oil pump, water pump ect. Get yourself some FAT forged pistons and a this point decide if your gonna turbo or supercharge it or leave it NA. I'd reccomend going forged whatever you're gonna do. Remember if you are looking to Turbo it but not straight away you'll be down on power until you put the turbo on because you'll have to put low comp pistons in. And at this point you'll have a nice new bottom end! With a warrantee to back you up!

Don't replace bits and pieces and screw around with bodge work mate, it'll cause you a real nightmare, because once you re-new one thing, you'll put a load of stress on all the older parts.

Mate, I'm not being funny but you need to ask yourself why it has a screwed piston. Pistons don't destroy themselves on there own. All, I can say is be careful, the problem may come back and bit you in the ass! You'll need to have a good look around for 2nd hand pistons, they don't come up very often.

You will know if you have "piston" slap, mine is quite audable now, even when it's warmed up!

You know how 2nd hand parts can bite you on the bum (remember the head???) Live and learn mate!

Get it done properly, It's not cheap, it's cost me over £800 JUST FOR THE PISTONS! These are 2.9 litre low compression forged ones mind.

I bought a 2.9 corrado block, but these are not actually a true 2.9 litre, so it's had to be re-bored to accomodate my pistsons.

i managed to get to rensport who have the car to fit an alarm i started it from cold and there was no hint of anything let alone oil smoke

what MAY have happened is incorect oil level reading and me over filling the oil hence the smoke as its never done it before il have to keep a close eye on it when i get it back im missing it now im driving a 1.6 8v polo which is reasonably pokey at low revs but it sure aint a vr hehe