Polishing my wheels (FAO: Binman)

I didn't realise how easy, yet boring it is!

I'm going to fully polish my wheels when I can get the time and sort the hassle of the VR engine out..

But I literally spent 5 mins on one section, just using 80 grade then 1000, then 2000 and I got this...

(My spare wheel)

?id=5188901&outx=760&oq=0

?id=5188902&outx=760&oq=0

Obviously not finished, but wanted to see how difficult it would be!

I did one side with paint stripper, and the pictured bits with just pure rubbing down, and I found this to be the best way!

Now if I get the polishing kit for a drill, would it be alot quicker, but more chance of messing up and getting an uneven look as it were... (where some bits have been rubbed down more)

I reakon with pure manual rubbing down, I could easily do a wheel a day if I have the patience..

Also, what is the best way to go after using 60/80 grade??

The wheel seemed to 'buff up' alot quicker than when I attempted to polish my inlet! %-6 :? :D &|

[ Edited ]

Mark they will polish a lot easier than the manifold as they are very smooth to start with, as opposed to the manifold, you basically just need to remove the paint and then polish! I've been using a dremel and a flap wheel/mop on my spare 2 wheels trying to achieve the same sort of look (although I think I may just chrome them) It works ok, and a lot less hassle on the fingers, but you have to be a little bit careful you don't get too carried away! Its also a lot easier if you split the rims apart! ;o)

I was surprised how quickly I managed to do them in. Just need my new BBS Splits to arrive and then I can finish all the RH's off!

like simon said the inlet manifold is a lot rougher and you need to start with 40 or 80 then go to 120, 240, 400, 800, 1200 and 1500. with the wheels you could start at 120. It is easy just very time consumng and you cant cut any corners if you want a mirror finish!

The drill kits will speed it up and take a lot of the hard work out of it. Id recommend getting one without a doubt, well worth £45. you get coarse, medium and fine abrasive compounds and 3 grades of polish with a different mop for each. You just start with the roughest one you need for the job and work down to the finest polish and you'll be able to do your hair in it! Its only with the rougher ones you can mess it up but if you keep them moving over the surface you'll be fine.

I'll stick some pics of my manifold up soon, got about an hour left to do on it!

Simondo, you got picy's of the wheels you've done?? I thought about chrome, but they are more maintainence and could look tooo 'bling'.

You can't loose the RH's for BBS's!!

I'm going to have a go at polishing the wheels fully by hand as I found it really easy, just going to be time consuming, but I've got 4 months of doing nothing, so a wheel a day it is!

The manifold and block im going to use a machine on as its all flat, so dont have to worry about ruining the shape and applying too much pressure to higher contours.

They defo don't rust, look at all the porker rims out there e,t,c, just regualr polishing and a bit of wax shud maintain them.

Cheers all

i think wheels have to be perfect to polish them, as you can hide the chunks that are missing, you could get them refurbished cos they will fill the holes, and paint over them (go for black ;) ) im not even sure you can chrome them up, unless they fill them with metal...

i think, if you baught one of the drill kits that was mentioned earlier, then took the course compound to it, you would be able to remove most of the damage, then once polished up, get the lip diamond cut as was mentioned in another post somewhere. would look the dogs danglies