Using the emergency lane for general use?

Saw this on the news this morning, apparently we MIGHT be able to use the harder shoulder as an extra lane should congestion get bad on motorways. Im not 100% sure myself, as it was always there for a reason. The positives apparently are that it costs 1/5 of what it would if the road was widened, but where is the rest of the money going?

Other solutions to this maybe:

1- Use the hard shoulder, but spend the other money on air support for accidents

2- Lets do what the Yanks and the Aussies do and let us undertake.

3- Fine people for cruising in the middle lane.

Whats your opinions on this topic?

They are trialling this on the M42 in Birmingham. They have constructed refuge points - basically laybys next to the hard shoulder. If you break down you are supposed to use these. Above the hardshoulder there are signs. Currently it shows a big red cross and you cant use the h'shoulder for a running lane until the trial begins.

Noticed today that an advanced matrix sign read "M42 Juntion 4 to 5, H'shoulder running when indicated', so they may have started to trial it.

I think its a good idea, it will only be used when the traffic conditions are 'right' (according to the higways agency)

not sure about it though, the idea of the hard shoulder is to (apart from getting breakdowmns off of the carriageway) give the emergency services access to crashes etc as it would take forever when the road is blocked as traffic has been building up

not a good idea, i work on the a12 in essex and its hard enough trying to get to a accident without a hard shoulder, would onl hinder emergency services. A much better idea , would be to either stop middle lane hogging, or use the american lane change sstem.

another ill concieved highways agency scheme.

jim

Sorry to be boring, but higher speeds mean LESS capacity as there's more space (or at least should be) between cars.

Surely most hard shoulders aren't really wide enough for the lorries which would have to be the main users to make the scheme work. Whenever roadworks force its use there are always narrow lane warnings.

I like the idea of #3. I do remember reading that it would be equivilant to an extra 500miles of motorway carriageway if the muppets stopped. Fine them AND force them to take motorway driving lessons/tests.

TG

I think the idea is that when the h'shoulder is used as a running lane it is constantly monitored for breakdowns. If emergency vehicles need to use it' date=' they just change the sign above the h'shoulder to a red X.

Heres a link... http://www.highways.gov.uk/roads/projects/4673.aspx

[/quote']

I do see what you mean, but trying to bet a full lanes worth of traffic off of the hard shoulder and onto the main carriageway, which would already be static because of the accident isn't really achieveable...........

Chris

agree the hard shoulder should be left as it is, atleast its a "safer" place to stop, if they make it a live lane there will be hundreds more fatal accidents when people get out their cars or drive into the back of lorries that have blow outs etc, again its a sign of the country doing things on the cheap and tree huggers stopping development, the middle lane brigade should be fined on every occasion! maybe if britain possedsed some of the driveing attitudes of our european neighbours driving standards on motorways would be a lot better, in france you only travel in an outer lane to overtake someone, you then return to the inner lane, if you get caught taking the mick they fine you!