Did the last of the Mk 3 VR6's come with the 2.9 engine

I had 2 tyres fitted today and the tyre fitter said that as it was a 1997 VR6 it had the 2.9 engine in it. Also earlier that day I had a new radiator fitted which apparently is slightly bigger than the normal VR6 ones as my model year needed the bigger version. Which got me thinking that maybe it has the 2.9 fitted. Or were both the tyre fitter and the garage talking rubbish?

Cheers,

After Eight

all mk3 golf vr6's have the same radiator regardless of year or even whether they have air con or not ..!!

and the only mk3 to have a 2.9 was - as binliner says - the syncro, which is only available in LHD from germany . . .boo!!

and this has the same rad too ...!!

your rad should be 630mm x 380mm in size ;)

later ones are suposed to put out anothher 11bhp (not stated in book tho) still 2.8's tho as has been said.

i remeber some one asking me if mine was a mk2 or a mk3 vr6 cus he heard vw mk2 were made with smaller vr6 engines :s

so many urban myths surround loads of cars! and a lot of it comes from "bloke down the pub said" every time i have tyres fitted or an mot done someone always says "you have got play in your rear wheel bearings mate" when in reality IF they knew anything about VW`s they would realise that you need a small amount of play for them to run correctly, if they are over tightened they burn up and fail!!!! OB2 engined cars are supposedly 185 bhp as standard but how true that is who knows???? on the subject of myths apparantly it IS still legal for a you to shoot a Welshman on a Sunday in Cheltenham with a Long bow.. no offence Warren ;) and you can also still beat your wife with a stick as long as it isnt thicker than your thumb! oh to be a tyre fitter! :)

OB2 engined cars are supposedly 185 bhp as standard but how true that is who knows????

Officially, all 2.8 12v VR6 engines are 174BHP. This was the figure quoted by VW throughout the Golf VR6's production run.

This is pretty much spot-on for the OBD1, but OBD2 cars usually produce about 10BHP more than this when measured on the rollers. The exact reason for this is explained in superb detail in that huge supercharging thread on the-corrado .net forum, but it's basically due to tighter fuel/air mixture control by the more advanced OBD2 engine management system.

The official figure for all VR6 2.9s is 190BHP, but this is again based on the OBD1 figure. I'm guessing that an otherwise standard OBD2 2.9 (1996-1997 Golf & Passat syncros only) would make over 200BHP.

fcuk u tellin me that when i got told on my mot that their was play in my rear wheel bearings and to be safe i got 2 fitted and the chances were that their was nowt wrong with them.

plus now iv had them fitted they make a funny noise is that because their to tight??