I've cleaned mine before by using a garden type water sprayer/mister filled with isopropanol. Remove it from the car and then spray the fine wire thats inside to remove deposits. You wanna make sure its nice and dry before using it again though. Doesn't take long as it evaporates pretty quick.

On my OBD1 NAFF, I use cotton buds with Isopropynol too. Just very gently wipe the platinum wires to remove the crud. These type of MAF have a cleaning cycle that's supposed to clean the wires by heating them to 1000 degrees C for a split second. Not sure how well it works though, it probably just bakes the K&N oil onto the wires even more!

Symptoms of a dead NAFF include:- poor throttle response, hesitancy, very bad idle, poor mpg and a general lack of urge.

K

by the by, Maplins sell Isopropanol Electrical cleaner (its what I use in my water injection! ;)) - you are supposed to be able to give the electrical item a good drenching in that stuff I think, and then just let it dry off.

Never tried it though - I alwayts wondered if it would actually ever dry out if it got into a supposedly sealed part of the MAF electrics?

Dont let it get on your skin though - its quite toxic...

Jules

Use carb cleaner in the ISV followed by a quick spray of silicon maintanence spray. The trouble with the VR ISV is the internal vane occassionally jams because it sits above the exhaust manifold, absorbing tonnes of heat. Check the scoring on it when you take it off! Another remedy the VR really enjoys is a clean up of the throttle butterfly with carb cleaner.

A good source for MAFs is a local bosch distributor. Bosch direct only charge you £150 exchange for a MAF, as opposed to £321+VAT from VW.

You can test the MAF by doing the following:-

When at temperature and idling, pull the MAF plug off. The engine should stammer and die. If it doesn't, the ECU has bypassed it and is using the throttle sensor instead to give you a crude and over-fuelled mixture.

If you unplug the MAF and the idle remains the same, take it for a drive and if it feels no different, the MAF is dead. If it drives like shit, the problem lies elsewhere.

[ Edited Fri Jun 11 2004, 06:52PM ]