move on from the vr6? evo magazine group test

read a few posts about moving on from the vr6 and related articles comparing the r32.my own opinion is that i would personally not feel very comfortable with the attention one would get from certain elements of our society if i ran an r32 (robbing bastards and general scum would un nerve me i think) thats where the trusty old vr comes in: it looks like nothing special in comparison. i havent had any problems in mine from such people but in this day and age car jackings are common, maybe the r32 is too attractive if you understand me.I sometimes feel the vr is "yesterdays car" and that more mundane cars can cause a few problems out on the open road.But it still does a very good job for me!

evo mag recently ran a group test of the (so called) all time great front drivers. the vr corrado came nowhere being described as " too clumsy" there was no mk2 golf, the usual suspects though 205 gti clio williams et al were there. the mk1 golf hardly got a mention.

Why do some people just not entertain vws finest? autocar rate the mk2 gti golf a bit, but evo dont really have great things to say about the corrado as mentioned nor the mk1 and certainly not the mk2 which are vws greatest efforts over the years. oh well thats their opinion

Evo used to have the corrado in its reviews at the back -

Along with the mk2 and mk3 valvers which got 5 and 4 stars respectively.

I noticed a few issues ago they removed the golf VR though. I think they must be pruning the database as its all page space that costs money...

maybe they just dont have any taste warren? maybe they prefer that plasticky rubbish from the land of the rising sun? i know what roper means about the scum element being atracted to an R32, as i am shortly to upgrade my VR6 to one i do have some reservations about driving around and leaving a 15k car lying around the place!! i guess you just gotta be carefull where you leave it! i do have a special security device at home for it! a garage a pair of dobermans a baseball bat and me! :o i might get a tracker fitted just in case though ;)

Whatever floats your boat innit. Nowadays you cant go down a road without seeing a scoobie or similar, or some kind of other hot hatch. Back in the day if you wanted a hot hatch it was a VW or a XR2, or an Astra, now there is competitiion from every brand. The thing with all that competition is that to the uninitiated VW are simply not the best, if you just read magazines the VW are only top of the list on price! Accelleration top speed etc VW struggle against cheap nasty cars, and at the end of the day young people want a fast car but what with insurance etc all they can afford is a Honda! We as VW enthousiasts are a rare breed, we love our Dubs cos we know even though they are not the fastest or best spec they are nontheless the greatest car ever built! I would not worry about the safety of you R32 unless it is brand spangly new. 15k still aint worth it to a car thief, i work on the principle there are only two kinds of thief in the world; the first is the average chav who wants to impress his 16 yr old prego gf and thieve a car, so he picks the oldest one he can find with no immobiliser on it. Or there is the Russian Mafia goon who wants to nick a brand new 50k Merc to ship to Russia to please his Drug Lord! Either way your R32 will be safe!

lol....i guess your right, i am carefull where i leave my cars too, they hardly ever get left in the same place twice which does deter the serious thief and like you say most chav thieves want an easy car to nick..usually a metro or an old ford or vauxhall!!! i doubt many of these retards would know how to drive a more modern car away unless they got a lo loader???? still thats what insurance is for! i would be mighty pissed off if any car i owned was nicked but they can always be replaced! if it was a 911 i was getting or a furry then i would buy an uzi and have bodyguards too! the world is full of "have" and "have nots" and its the "have nots" you have to look out for!!!!!

The thing with all that competition is that to the uninitiated VW are simply not the best' date=' if you just read magazines the VW are only top of the list on price! Accelleration top speed etc VW struggle against cheap nasty cars, and at the end of the day young people want a fast car but what with insurance etc all they can afford is a Honda! We as VW enthousiasts are a rare breed, we love our Dubs cos we know even though they are not the fastest or best spec they are nontheless the greatest car ever built![/quote']

VW are actually stacking up well against the competition at the moment. The Scooby & Focus ST have a poor image. Mitsi Evo is ugly as sin and has nasty interior. Astra VXR very fast, but doesn't handle. Ditto for the BMW 130. Civic Type R getting a bit long in the tooth now and you have to cane the hell out of it to get decent performance anyway.

The Golf Mk5 GTi is the most complete package out there right now. That's why so many people are buying them!

When i owned my mk2 i loved it, because there is that aire of a family with us lot, With the BMW that i have recently owed there was nothing really. Would drive down the street and see a million of them. When with the mk2 you would know the enthusiasts from the people just driving around. With other makes of cars you dont get that, and thats why im returning to the DUB scene. So like was said, they may not be the most economical or the fastest, but i love them still because of the overall respect you get driving one.