[moved] recoding of keys for a mk3 golf 96 p reg

guys, i recently posted a thread where i changed the ignition barrel and then the car wouldnt start. i have noticed that if i place my old key near the barrel and then start the car it will work. does anyone know how i can get the key recoded or what options do i have before i visit the local vw and get ripped off?

Well.

Personally' date=' I'd go to my friendly lock smith that codes keys and have a pair of new keys cut......keys cut to the new lock, but coded with the old key.

Easy!

[/quote']

Id agree, my dad had the same problem, he went to VW and they were gonna charge him almost double the best price he got. Im sure in the end he went to somewhere like Sainsburys, the guy in the there said he can do it, said it would be about £25 because of the code.

He tried other places and they either couldnt do it, or were really expensive. :-d

You may be able to get a key cloned using your old key but i think only VW can code ORIGINAL keys to the car £35.

One option u could try is take the chip out of ur old key and put it in ur new key if its chipped, be careful they're stuck in VW keys and they're quite small ;-)

only vw can code them as far as i know!! it is done by a secure line to vw uk - the old immobiliser codes are transmitted to them, and they send new ones back for the new key...

effectively the car is programmed to the key AND the key is programmed to the car !!

but you should be able to split the old key in half and CAREFULLY remove the transponder.

then you can put it into your new key and it will work..

alternatively remove the transponder from the old key and tape it inside the surround for the ignition barrel..this will obviously have the same effect as placing the old key near the barrel as you are doing now

here is my key : -

1153173643_594_FT127521_dsc01033_.jpg

split along the line arrowed : -

1153173683_594_FT127521_dsc01034_.jpg

transponder will be in the gap arrowed (mine does not have one as it is pre '96 - but i have 2 other immobilisers!! ;) )

be careful they do break easily but it can be done

richie

thanks for the info guys but i have realised that the new key set up is from a non coded car. anyway vw says they cant recode it as the car is too old. some locksmith that can do it quoted me £45 + vat. so ihave taped the key to the ignition barrel and it fits nicely under the plastic steering column cover.

• 5 weeks later...