Yet another Vr6 Missfire. Done the usual checks... what now? UPDATE: missing on 1 and 6

Apologies for the short sentances but I'm at my wit's end with this.

My VR is not firing on cylinder 1 - this only seems to happen when warmed up.

Removed plugs, the plug from cylinder 1 is the only one wet with petrol.

Swapped whole HT lead (new leads 4 months ago) with another and still plug 1 is wet.

swap plug with a new one, still wet and missing.

connect spare plug to lead on cylinder 1 and start car - runs the same (missing on cylinder 1 obviously) and plug connected to lead 1 is sparking away happily.

Hook up to VAG com, no fault codes.

Wait till dark and spray coilpack and lead with water and see no sign of arcing

any ideas what is wrong?!

I suspect coilpack - any other way of checking this apart from the water spray? Given that I get spark when the plug is out and there is no sign of arcing I dont really want to buy another (£125).

Any signs of a lack of compression on cylinder 1 to look for? Engine fouled up plug 1 over 3k miles on 10w40 oil, but still pulls like a train and ran great until this missfire.

If the O2 sensor was out, I'd expect too much or too little fuel across all 6? I hear I have more chance of winning the lottery than a Vr6 injector failing.

The coil packs on vr6 engines have got three coils. What happens is that each plug fires twice each cycle. Once on exhaust and once when it fires. Its called a redundant spark or something. So if it was the coil pack it would most likely miss on two cylinders not just the one. What you could try doing is swapping the lead on the coil pack with its twin. when looking at the coil pack you should see they are connected in three pairs. just swap top and bottom over. Also worth trying is tapping the injector with a screw driver, as they are simple solenoid valves. Had a intermittent fault on a Laguna. No faults in ecu. Tapped it with the handle of a screw driver while its running and it ran ok again for a while! Hope that helps.

hi' date=' how does the car sound/perform with 1 cylinder gone?

[/quote']

Sounds rough and like its missing and drives jerkily (unless at motorway speeds when i guess the momentum helps).

delert - will try this now cheers.

What you could try doing is swapping the lead on the coil pack with its twin. when looking at the coil pack you should see they are connected in three pairs

done this' date=' same result, miss on one, however.....

So if it was the coil pack it would most likely miss on two cylinders not just the one.

UPDATE: Out of curiosity when you said this I pulled no.6 plug (no.1's twin) and this was covered in petrol too, so must be missing on that cylinder too.

Does this point to the coilpack then?

Anything else I can try?

Sounds likely then. Soo hard to tell on a V6 how many are missing. On a 4 cyl engine if you lose more than one it would be totally undrivable. However it would seem totally reasonable that one of those coils could be faulty, which would give you a poor spark on two cylinders. Without proper testing gear i cant think what else you could try.