Cold air feed for induction kits????

hiya.....just wanted to know where everyone has plumbed their cold air feed for their induction kits. Is their a particular place around the vr engines. Also can someone put me out of my misery and explain to me, what those cute looking little minature filters are i keep seeing on max power car engines. There really small around 10cm if that. Ive heard they are called oil breathers. Is worth setting up one on vr's and how do you do it? Any help appreciated.

To put in my cold air feed I took out the carbon canister (plugged one of the hoses) and run some very flexible samco ducting through the hole it left and around the air con bottle to the small lower front grill.

you can put an oil breather filter on to the cam cover breather to replace the factory breather pipes, which basically vent the oily fumes back into the air intake... this will help prevent gunk getting into the throttle body

Can't see em being any better than the BMC system..

I had the Viper Kit on My Peugeot 106 GTi and it was brilliant! I remember shortly after the BMC kit came out and was getting even better reviews..

so..

BMC it is.

---Binliner ---

What does the carbon canister actually do? Ive been trying to geta cold air feed to my BMC & have an intermittent problem with my carbon canister on VAG-COM - so removal would kill 2 birds with one stone for me.

Go BMC there the 8ollock5....

Leave well alone the oil breather filter as it causes the car to smell of oil inside' date=' plus it will drip oil onto the exhaust manifold at an alarming rate :@ [/quote']

I attached my breather filter to a length of hose and ran it to the wing to avoid those problems

---Binliner ---

What does the carbon canister actually do? Ive been trying to geta cold air feed to my BMC & have an intermittent problem with my carbon canister on VAG-COM - so removal would kill 2 birds with one stone for me.

the carbon canister has 2 hoses attached to it... basically one of them is a vent from the fuel system, the carbon canister filters what is vented before returning it via the 2nd hose to the air intake. Its only actually necessary for US emission laws. If you remove it leave the clear hose open (thats the vent) and just block the black hose (the return) with a bolt... let them hang down through the hole where the cc was so the fumes are vented out of the car and hold them in place with a couple of cable ties

Excellent job mate... and good pics and guide. Unfortunately that way isnt possible on cars with aircon... on aircon equipped cars you have to take out the cc (to run the bmc sized air feed anyway)

(except for some early cars ie Nickbees before he mentions it!)

Oh god, yes. I forgot to mention that this guide only applies to cars without aircon. I have edited the procedure so that it makes this clear now.

If you've got aircon, the evaporator and drier obstruct the offside front corner of the car behind the bumper & grille.

For cars with aircon, the carbon canister would DEFINITELY have to come out, and even then the installation will be tricky. Use flexible rubber hose instead of the supplied aluminium hose, and you've got a chance.

[ Edited Wed Jun 02 2004, 10:28PM ]

Yes, the outside temp sensor plugs into this lower grill, but it's at the end closest to the numberplate, so the sensor is not disrupted at all.

To remove the bumper, first take off the front grille (including the metal bit that goes underneath the headlamps). You will see 3 10mm bolts in the top of the bumper between the headlamps. Remove these.

Then look on the underside of the bumper below the numberplate. More 10mm bolts here (5, I think).

On the rear edge of the bumper, under the front wheelarch, there are two plastic retainers which fix the bumper to the wheelarch liner. Remove these, both sides.

Then remove the indicator, foglamps & tow eye cover on both sides. You will see two 13mm bolts on each side underneath where the tow eye covers were. Remove these and the bumper just pulls off forwards.

I found it easier to do the job with the indicators and foglamps off the car as it gave me another hole in the bumper I could stick my hands through to manouver things around!

I noticed a definite improvement in the pickup after fitting the cold air pipe, especially at speed on the motorway. It also muted the induction noise a bit. Again, good for motorway cruising.

Your install looks pretty neat too. The end-piece on your pipe looks different to the one I was supplied with.

[ Edited Wed Jun 02 2004, 10:07PM ]