Well i just been on trip to dover and back, anyways just after exiting the dartford tolls on my way down im cruising at about 90 and i look in my mirror and theres a black subaru trying to push me up the road, ie virtually touching my back bumper, so i think oh well what the heck and put me foot down, undertake the couple ov cars doing wrong speed in fast lane when other lanes are clear and im off, he obviously felt my golf was no match for his scooby and starts to follow so i take her right up 120 130 140 he not keeping up so well anymore,then traffic starts building again so i have to slow a little. now a lot ov you probably wont approve but i hate to lose so i take the three lane route swerving in and out at quite high speeds, hes doing same and catching me cos ov traffic, traffic clears and im leaving him again then far down in distance ahead i spot the dreaded blue lights so i give him foglight flash to warn him and do the old 70mph drive by the police t5 volvo, at this point he decides hes gonna get passed me, within 5 miles i had repassed him and he didnt try again.it said wrx on back i admit 70 -100 he was quicker but after that laters mate they dont seem to have the top end we do its all accelleration and no topspeed and my car has got crappy k/n decat and milltek exhaust so i cant wait til ive chipped and cammed and watever else i can eventually afford to get done. :) 8o) !amazed

Guest Olly_K

Scoobs (the old ones) are pretty rapid through the gears, although they do start to even out and slow down after 100mph. Keep on them and you'll soon av em !

Ive raced one before all the way to @130 before we approcahed a roundabout and had to slow down, he had nothing on me :) I have to admit though, most scoob drivers I know tend to be fairly respectful on the road, prolly cos they're a bit wiser than your typical nova/paxo driver lol...

ur a braver man than me id b thinkin hes unmarked copper i havnt been that impresssed with normal scoobs either they havnt gone away from me

police would only use the very newest scoobies...so if it an older one (i.e. the good lookin one) i wouldn't worry.

yeah, vr6's are probably quicker top end...but a well driven impreza will dissapear at under 120 speeds. although i always find it surprising how many impreza drivers seem too scared to go qick round corners (despite booting it in a straight line)...i managed to hold one through corners in a punto...what a waste.

yeah' date=' vr6's are probably quicker top end...but a well driven impreza will dissapear at under 120 speeds. [/quote']

Yes and no. My mate has a 2000 WRX and it flies at any speed. VR6s come into their own at high speed though because the engine eventually overcomes the tall gearing past 4000rpm and 4th is good for 125-130 mph, and then 5th all the way to 140+. At these speeds, the WRX and VR are closely matched I've found.

although i always find it surprising how many impreza drivers seem too scared to go qick round corners

That's because they understeer chronically unless you keep your foot on the gas. When ever I drive his quickly round roundabouts you have to be careful of front wheel pitching. Piling on some more gas wakes up the rear diff and pulls you round nicely. My Corrado will leave his for dead round the bends and I've still got an open diff! But I am a more confident driver than he is. Even so, in my hands, I can get his scoob to leave pretty much anything on the bends and twisty B roads. No VW is as composed or in control as a WRX on B road blasts. Trust me, if you go up against a well piloted WRX, you won't find it so easy.

But fair-dos if you can toast one on the motorway though. They *are* quick cars. But not as quick as a Schricked Corrado VR tho 8o)

K

kev, there is one vw that is faster on twistys than a wrx, the r32, irrespective of bhp etc, it was tested on top gear and i was mightily impressed ,it beat the subaru by quite a clear margin and it was on a track with quite a few twists

My mate's P1 doesn't understeer half as much as my other mate's WRX. The WRX is very softly sprung as standard so beefing up the suspension will help and also dialling in a bit more negative camber at the front. You also have to know how to drive them to extract the best from them. I'm no expert but some Subaru drivers can't drive for toffee.

Yeah I'm sure the R32 is faster than a Scoob. Suppose I should have said no FWD VWs with open diffs are quicker than a scoob point-to-point! Even the RS Focus is quicker than a Scoob on a circuit.

As mentioned already, the Evo is the best 4x4 road car at the moment. The Skyline isn't too shabby either.