What should boost gauge read?

I have a Vortec charger and was wondering what should my boost gauge should read - if i give it some beans it goes to 6psi - is this normal? I don't know what stage kit i have? The engine has had the compression lowered with a spacer 25psi head gasket - what boost can i run?

you should have a 3.17 inch pulley (may slightly bigger)

my 3.17 inch pulley for my V1 vortech supercharger makes 6 psi on the dot.

once you've lowered the compression you can take it up a notch (i dunno, depends on your c/r but, 10psi? sound good?) problem your gonna have is with fuelling unless u got the bigger injectors and or fuel pump. Also anything over 300bhp will require a stronger gearbox (this is generally agreed i think)

i would check the make of your vortech charger first, is it v1, v2 or v9?

then call stealth racing.

tbh, 8psi is probably more along your lines, 280bhp estimated...10 is probably gonna be 300bhp. but you can help things with exhuast mods and other engine mods.

the most important question i guess, is..are u sure its 6 psi? most people dont look at the boost guage at full throttle at high RPM's...try 2nd gear on an empty motorway from the hard shoulder? take it 6500rpm and see what boost it reads...probably safer on the rolling road though.

I've booted it and checked the guage - 6psi! no idea on charger - have the original reciept from usa - will have a look! Cost the bloke $4500 last nov - I got a bargain so I'm happy whatever the outcome - Runs like a dream with no problems! Just want to get a bit more power out of her! Any (sensible) suggestions welcome

Mate at 6psi you really don't need a spacer, u make the car sluggish before 3-4k. Apparently u can run up 2 10.5 psi on standard engine before u need a spacer! Check the c2 motorsports site, as they do some kits as well as vf engineering. You got any pics?

it should say the model no. on your vortech sc.6psi is prob stage 1.copper spacer IS for lower compression,probably 8.5/9.some usa sites say 16psi is safe.but stealth recommend mafless 12psi set ups.i am running 8.5psi pulley with 8.5CR.no real issues apart from a leaking union return to the sump.stealth is your best place for issurs.

• 2 weeks later...

re-checked boost at 5500rpm - 10psi - opps - im guessing this is ok? still seems slow - maybe i'm just getting used to it! Does seesm to pull very well when u boot it. booking it into stealth for a rolling road and check up!

i'm runnin 13 psi on a vortech v9 with stage 5 pully.

standard compression, no head spacer, standard engine and gear box. running 329 brake & 300 lbs. she breathes really heavily so have fitted an oil seperator. i wouldnt advise any more than that on stock internals!