Thought Civic Type R was better!

Right now Ive got my PC and Internet sorted at last, I thought id come back and share this with you!

Driving home from work last night (about midnight) I innocently overtook a nice mk2 golf and a Civic type r through town on a 2 lane stretch. Dont know if they were together but straight away they both decided to come hairing past me in the next 10 secs. Now I very rarely bother racing, but as it was so late and very little traffic about, I thought id see what would happen!

Anyway coming out of town I pull up behind them at a roundabout before joining the A1(M) and decide to see if they wanted to play. So I overtake them on the roundabout and sure enough they follow me onto the motorway.

Going up the slip road, we all floor it and the Civic and me leave the mk2 virtually straight away.

I get a better start than the Civic and am in front all the way up to 145 on the clock :? before I decide enough is enough (doubt there was much if anything left anyway) and the fact that I have just overtaken someone on the inside lane!

So I ease off and let the civic carry on as I already missed 1 turn off!

What surprised me was how easy it was to get away from the civic and the fact that it was in no way catching me, so I am one chuffed vr6 driver at the mo!

a friend of mine used to have a chipped up corrola t-sport. almost same engine spec as civic, little heavier! they really do fly if you can bear to rev them everwhere at between 6-8k rpm, but have a gutless power delivery below at anything up to 5k! the torque band is shocking and a near standard vr will have no probs pulling away from low speed, and would certainly not embarrass itself to an enthusiastic civic driver!

i rarely go over a ton and i raced a civic from about 40mph to a ton and he was never gonna catch me either and yes i was a little suprised too i could tell the girl was cheesed off cuz she undertook my at speed and dived into a v small gap i just laughed hehe i tried the same thing with an rs focus and he caught me on paper the civic is quicker so it must b the akward power delivery

I have raced two civic typr r's (on the same road though, must be a breeding ground lol) and have not beaten them, but they aint got nothing on me either! I am the same, will rarely go over @80mph, but like to kick it sometimes... Anyways, we went for it from 40mph all the way to about 135ish before running outa road. Maybe different from a standing start? But on the move, Id say an 8 year old 5.5k standard car keeping pace with a 17k one aint too bad :) "You have just experienced the power of the V6..."

both the civic type r and integra type r are "supposed" to be some of the best handling front wheel drive cars about, so maybe on a twisty b road you could have had more bother from the civic, still good to see the vr can beat it as the civic type r has had so much hype and is a lot newer !!

That and the Corrado VR6 because they both share the ideal FWD 64/36 weight bias.

Civic Type Rs are a curious machine. I test drove one last year with an open mind and I was seriously considering buying one as you get a lot for your £16K. First bad sign was a completely soaked windscreen on the *inside* that took 15 mins to clear. That'll be a buggered aircon unit then. Second bad sign was the low oil light coming on, and this car was 8000 miles old. The VTEC unit relys on oil pressure, so not good. Topped that up, cleared the screen and off we went and stumbled on bad sign number 3 straight away. The steering. It's awful. Razor sharp, yes, accurate, very, feelsome, you betcha.....but severe bump steer and tugging to the left.... not so good.

Anyways, onto the motorway slip road, the sales guy grinned to himself and said "Plant it". Well I was in 3rd and considered it rude to disobey....5000....6000....7000...there'll be some acceleration in a minute....8000.....9000.....da da da as we bounce off the limiter....hmmm, so where's this famous VTEC kick then?

Not impressed, at all.

Kind of explains why my Corrado VR trounces them.

Dunno where this 197bhp figure comes from cause it sure doesn't feel like it's got it, more like 150.

Sublime gearshift though, absolutely awesome!

Oh and the body shell was immensely stiff and you could really feel the benefits of that over mid-bend bumps.

A focused, raw and fun car overall, but flawed.

K

There were a few Civic Type R's at Knockhill last night and there really wasnt anything in it between them and me going down the straights.

In the corners and under braking though they did seem to have a bit of an edge.

I agree with eat this, the fact that a car based on "old" technology is still holding its own (to an extent) in its class is retty good going - i think anyway. As mentioned though, Ive raced civic type r's on the straights from 40mph upwards and theres nowt in it. Not had the chance to try against an RS yet, but now that there are 3 in my little town I can see that happening at some point in the near future lol..