hi i just brought my first vr6 and i''m very impressed with it but i do think its running a bit hot, the water temp on average reads 109 and the oil temp flucturates between 90-100, i'm sure this is not normal, the owner before me said that it always runs like that, i only brought the car yesterday and i dont wanna do any harm to the engine, will this fry the headgasket if i drive it like this.

also its not leaking any water or oil and the heaters still work so i dont think its the thermostat (could the thermostat be the problem anyay) so i leaning more towards the water pump or it might need bleeding, any help or info is very much apreciated, thanks ;)

dont know my water temp, but my oil is always higher.... water temp dial stays vertical when warmed up, goes to the right if stuck in traffic for a while... Oil runs up 100 in town and 106 on a motorway run... some time creeping higher.

must say tho mine does appear to run hotter than most,

where does your water temp sit? does it sit bang in the middle of the guage because mine doesn't, it sits about 3/4 to the right just before the 110 mark on the water temp guage and its this that is worrying me, the water pump went on my mums bmw and it never use to show signs of overheating but when i noticled a blue/white smoke from the exhausts i got it checked out, only to find out that the headgasket was on its way out and cylinder head had a hairline fracture, quite big bill at the end of the day, so i would say i'm bit cautious because of this and definatly would'nt want that to happen to my vr &|

Mine always gets up to 100 after abit, seems to be about the norm acording to other threads on this subject mate.

My water temp always sits in the middle as well, never been any further than that. Mines done 57k.

How about yours?

my water temp used to be around the middle, maybe a little towards 90-100! oil temp always around the 85-100 mark, depending on how much right foot! upper temps are maximums, lower is normal driving! since fitting new hoses and nuespeed thermostat, water temp stays around 80 all time, oil temp slightly less too! vrmonster- if you serious about not moving from cold on temp gauge, prob samr as mine was, thermostat stuck open so it allows water past to cool engine but always shows cold whilst moving! get it sorted tho, as it will lead to failure of one or more components eventually!