New Windscreen need some Advice,

Had a new windscreen fitted on Saturday as the other on was peppered. The problem is that there is a shaded are at the bottom of the windscreen which used to be about 7cm wide, on the new windscreen the shaded area is about 5cm wide.

The problem is that I can now see the fixing area at the top of the dashboard, when I look from outside of the car near the wipers.

I didn't notice it till I give it good once over when I got home. I gave them call straight away and was told come down on Monday with it as they wasn't sure what I was on about. I drove up on Sunday as I was in the area and the fitter that fitted it said "that’s how they are" and was told come back in when the manager was in on Monday.

I'm going to go down this afternoon to see them, can I demand that they replace the glass with a wider shaded area.

:(

Ello sansky !lol Recently got mine replaced by a friend who is a windscreen fitter, and he told me the only difference in the windscreens for the VR6 is the distance that the rear view mirror is applied ! (i.e 10-12cm from roof line ) Hope this helps fella

Cheers Rich for the replies,

If you could get a picture that would be a great help.

Went to see the company that fitted and the manager came out with "thats how they are on all golf's". i told him NO they not and i could show him a golf in the works car park that has not got the same problem as mine. Then he came out how come you know so much about the car. So had to explain that i'am an enthusiast of the VW and VR6.

Anyway took him to the works carpark to show him the other golf. And comes out with "Yes your right" and i'll get back in touch with you about it.

I hope Warren reads this thread so he dosen't have the same problems and hassele that i'm going through.

Had a new windscreen fitted last friday by National Windscreens. The strip at the bottom is 8cm wide.The guy who fitted it did mention that some companys are using cheaper windscreens with smaller shaded areas. RAC windscreens being one of the offenders. Hope this helps.

Thanks guys for all your help. I think we can take it as a fact that it shoul be a minumum of 7cm.

Just have to wait and see what the company comes out with.

Other wise i will be organising a mini meet outside his place !amazed to show him the various windscreens on all our cars. :D

• 2 years later...