Exhausts? Standard or Sports? What do you think?

Before the engine went on my VR6, i had stainless steel catback exhaust system put on, mainly because the original system was on its way out!

I spent £280 on a stainless steel catback system.

I was told by the mechanic that the size of the back box would determine what sound it would make, ie:

Small: Corsa/Saxo Boy Racer Sound

Medium: Subtle rumble sound

Large: Not very loud, but still a rumble

I opted for the Medium back box!

The garage put the medium back box on with a silencer, but it was stupidly loud, so they had to put another silencer on it!

When my brother came to pick me up in the VR6, i could hear it a mile off! Its sounded awesome! I had a drive and thought it was the dogs! untill i went on the Motorway!

After a few weeks i decided i didnt really like it! (its still on the car)

I noticed that i had lost the low end torque, and it would only take off at around 3000rpm! In comparison the original exhaust system was the best!

On the motorway, i found it to be very noisy and annoying, the sound of the droning, does your head in!

This was the first time (and last) that i will ever put a sports exhaust system on any car!

At the end of the day its down to personal preference. Me personally, i am great believer in keeping with OEM, not messing around with anything!

Im just wondering what you people think about sports or standard exhaust systems?

I cant really splash out on a new exhaust, as the engines f&*ked, so the main priority is to get that sorted!

There is a way of driving about so its not so noisy, just takes a little practice, usually involves driving about with very lite right foot!

I just learnt the hard way - ie spend first ask questiosn later!

You have to make your own mistakes before you can learn from it. Personally i would never put a sports exhaust on any car!

My G40 polo is testament to that, it had sports exhaust & induction kit, as soon as i put it back to original, it was alot better!

With regards to the engine,

Its a 1992 Vento VR6. It had 160k on the clock, and the bottom end went, due to the head gasket not being done.

Thats my main priority when i get some money in!

I dont want to buy a 2nd hand engine because i could have the same problem, so im going to have head skimmed, Crank reground, new gaskets and bolts etc, so i know that the engines sound!

Had Jetex exhaust system fitted as well as BMC induction filter. Can honestly say it sounds no louder when driving at normal speeds than before the mods were made, including motorways. The back box is quite large and the BMC filters renowned for its low noise level.Stick your foot down hard and everything changes, sounds grrrreat. Thanks to the PHIRM. !lol

i have a powerflow exhaust and i am SUFFERING from the same issues lol, i hear you man!

i want a standard set up too but its proving impossible at the moment as whoever fitted the exhaust for the previous owner has botched everything up so cannot change the cat etc.

My C VR is running a full stainless, not sure of the brand but it sounds awesome... The end pipe is 4 inch. There is nothing better than the sound of a V6 running full tilt !lol

My Bro's Scoob is running a 5 inch full ss zorst and that sounds unreal too, but even he says mine sounds nicer !lol

I used to have a Saxo VTS, that was running a decat Magnex full ss with a 4 inch box and that sounded awesome too. But when itially fitted along with induction kit I saw the power fall right off, I got it rolling roaded and superchipped then it was sweet as a nut !lol

The worst possible sound is when some one sticks a large pipe onto a small engine, you end up with a farty rasp sound, why do it !amazed

My old man had a cat back powerflow put on an old 318i compact then about 2 weeks later sold the car due to the awful sound it made, was funny when the bmw salesman came out to have a look at it 4 part ex, we could jus hear him reving it up then he came back in and said " is that a standard exhaust sir?!"

Had a powerflow rear box on my gti that was ok quite a nice rumble, Ive just got 2 stainless 3inch round slash cut pipes welded to my back box on the VR looks great sounds standard!

pipes.jpg

Ugh, buy an exhaust that has been specifically designed and engineered for your car by a reputable manufacturer and you won't have any issues.

Get Johnny Powerflow down the road to knock you one up in his garage where he asks you how loud you want it, you're going to end up with a pile of crap.