synthetic or mineral what grade for 70k mile engine is 15W40 okay?

okay, this may have been discussed before, but here is questions.

1. I have been using synthetic oil, but is it okay to use mineral instead??

2. the specs say that 15W40 is okay for 0DegC up to 40DegC ambient, is it okay to use this thicker grade?

3. Basically, the point of this is that rather than spending £40 for about a gallon of expensive sythetic oil, i would rather use mineral 15W40 oil that I already buy in bulk(as I buy about 15 gallons at a time for all other vehicles which ALL use the same 15w40 oil)

4. Note, I also change oil EVERY 3000 miles.

I use semi synthetic in mine, the one that VW use which is Syntha Silver. I had fully synthetic in it but that is too thin and when the engine gets very hot the oil will break down and not give the required protection. My engine runs a lot quieter with semi synthetic too

I've used Castrol Magnatec in a VR6 before without any problems. Likewise with "minor brand" 10W40 Semi Synthetic from my local discount parts store.

Synta Silver does seem to be the most highly recommended choice though and this is what I use now.

Id have to say I think thats too thin for a VR m8. I think most on here would agree that a good Semi Synth 10w/40 is your best bet. As far as im aware most engine oils have to be made to a certain specification. Certain manufacturers put additives in the oil which are supposed to reduce the amount of frcition when starting from cold. A good tip is always to buy and oil which carries the latest spec. All oils have an "S" followed by a letter somewhere on the label. When i was in the trade a few years ago it was "SJ". I think its "SL" now but don't quote me. Its a bit like the British Standard Kite mark for oil I think which changes from time to time.