Deiselgeek.com short shift kit

There is another thread on short shifters nearby, but it has drifted off topic, and I thought I'd make my point most clearly with a new thread.....

And the point is, the deiselgeek shifter http://www.dieselgeek.com/Detail.bok?no=295 is a great product. I don't work for these guys, and paid full price for the product.....

So far I have only installed the modified gear stick inside the car, which looks after the fore and aft throw shortening. Tomorrow, and with the engine cold, I will install the side to side reduction kit and the uprated bushings.

Even without this extra work, the product is a joy to use - shifts are precise and feel like a more modern car. Highly recommended. Its lucky for us that the guy who builds these was awake during his geometry lessons - its paid off!

i have one of these in my bad boy, and the shifts are silky smooth. and perfectly close, the mechanism is a little awkward to fit inside the housing but if you have experience at modding other parts it should be a doddle. just cant wait to get mine on the strip to see how she copes with quick changes.

I have now installed the side to side reduction part and the overall change from before - even with new motor mounts and tranny mount - to the final outcome is just night and day. I can't even begin to think what it would be like going back to old motor mounts, a dud tranny mount and the old shifter mechanisms. The gearchange is now solid, sure and mechanical, like a rifle bolt.

It took me about 1.5 hours to fit, because I was being extremely careful with the dremel stage - don't do it without one - so as not to scratch or remove any excess metal that didnt need to be dremel-led. The side to side part took about half an hour, with much of the time spent finding the right size sockets in the socket set! 13mm in case you need to know, with the longest socket extension the shop has.

I dont change gears quickly, even less so now, its really the throw and feel I wanted to change. If this thing didnt even shorten the throw, and just changed the feel, I would still be happy.

There used to be a note on short shifters and dodgy syncros in the deiselgeek website - no longer there - reminding people that a short shifter would accelerate the wear of any dodgy syncros, but if you have a good tranny to start with and dont want to change gear as quick as Clarke Kent becoming Superman, this is an ideal mod.

There is another thread on short shifters nearby' date=' but it has drifted off topic, and I thought I'd make my point most clearly with a new thread.....

And the point is, the deiselgeek shifter http://www.dieselgeek.com/Detail.bok?no=295 is a great product. I don't work for these guys, and paid full price for the product.....

So far I have only installed the modified gear stick inside the car, which looks after the fore and aft throw shortening. Tomorrow, and with the engine cold, I will install the side to side reduction kit and the uprated bushings.

Even without this extra work, the product is a joy to use - shifts are precise and feel like a more modern car. Highly recommended. Its lucky for us that the guy who builds these was awake during his geometry lessons - its paid off!

[/quote']

Twas my thread, and thanks for the info. Now i've seen that some kits involve working from underneath, and removing exhausts etc to fit the shifter, is that the case with this kit?

The changes with this kit involve replacing the stock shift lever with a stock-looking item with a different throw (the oem boot remains so everything looks the same inside the car) and changing a pivot point at the end of the shift cable, so it does mean work in the engine bay, but not under the car - there is nothing gearshift related near the exhaust/under the car......have look down by your battery, near the shift weight if you have one - the thing that looks like a hammer - its the two cables there. The engine bay work took me half an hour and withe right tools on hand and having done it once I could make it 15 minutes. Hope this helps.