Whilst in the process of getting my beloved Highline up to my own personal tastes, I was wondering what the current view on short shifters are?

I'm still fairly new to VR6 country, but as such, am already fully aware that a rather delicate cable arrangement is in place to swap the ole cogs, but the throw on the gearstick is monsterous!! I don't know whether the previous owner had buggered about with it, but i near enough have to lean out of my seat for reverse, 1st and 3rd!! And the gear lever sticks in reverse too, is this a common problem?

I'd also hazard a guess that cable change is a bit on the rare side, so choice of proposed shifter is a bit restricted? If any of you guys have short shifters, what do you use, and where did you get them from?

Many thanks :D

Dont know where you are located mate, but there was a thread a bit ago about the phirm making up short shifters for ppl! From what i remember, you got to take your car in so they can set it up! But good things were said and they are cheaper than other short shift kits!

No personal experiance, just going on what has been said!

i bought a B&M short shifter and it was simple to fit and made a huge difference the best £100 i ever spent on the car it halvd the gearstick throw and it feels far more precise now actually feel it going into gear.

I 've had a custom shift made by the phirm . these guys will make a short shift from your oe set-up to your own personal preference, from road comfort to race. They won't do mail order as they like to set up the shifts themselves so that they can be absolutely sure that it's set-up right. I paid £90 + vat fully fitted. Mine feels wicked now.

They do everything mate. Performance VW magazine uses The Phirm for all their own cars. First rate mate. And as said above will really go out of their way to help. 100mile trip down to them will be well worth it.

I'm going to be getting one of their short shifters fairly soon. They're fitting some 268 cams for me in a weeks time so gotta watch the money. A short shifter should make the car much nicer to drive. Can't wait to get one fitted to mine... as you say the standard gear throw is bloody huge.