Andy: it's a treet... My corrado was running 270F to 290F over here in the summer at 90mph in 110F. Tryed New Demension cooler kit, bummer...also 2 others by US after market builders, bummers... finally built my own abortion. 1990 Audi single oilfilter adapter into a XJS jag cooler. Its alot of work. I can't say if it will fit in a UK car. Haven't seen more than 238F (stomping along at 100mph in Nev.) In lu of following in my footsteps use a good sin. oil. They don't start to break down till they hit a min. of 400F. Mobil 1, Redline, Royal Purple are all good for 480F+. Some of the guys on the forum have said you can get Redline over there, Mobil ect, maybe US only.(one other nice plus to the Audi set up was getting rid of the Vr's sloppy cartridge filter for a nice spin on)

Agreed...the type and make of oil affects the temp quite a lot. Semi-synthetic is ideal. What make are you using? Temps shouldn't normally go much over 100 (if at all) even pelting it down the motorway at 99mph in this country unless its a hot summer (thats not very often!).

Fit a Neuspeed 160 degree thermostat. They only cost £15 or so, and they make a huge difference on oil temperatures. My car is very rarely in the 90's, even after driving it hard, and I've never seen it in 3 figures once.

I think awesomegti sells the thermostat. Ultimate cooling mods are: neuspeed thermostat, low temp fan switch, mocal 13/19 row oil cooler and water wetter in your coolant. Good oil and the correct coolant mix help too. Also give the radiator a good flush out!

Funny how what you say can come back and bite you, I was doing a singing gig in Bath tonight and forgot my work shoes and Keyboard stand,I left the wife to set up the gear and hacked it back to Bristol and my oil temp went up to 114, I have never seen it go that high before,driving home tonight speed limit speeds it only got to 87.

Yeah - never be too concerned about oil temps. My old GTi saw the mid-120's on the Nurburgring, and is still going strong.

My VR6 has the low temp thermostat in, just becasue the old one broke. Previously the temps would go up to 110 occasionally at very high speeds, but this really isn't anything to be worried about. With the Neuspeed 160 in the temps rarely go over 100.

A cooler engine generally develops more power. A hotter engine is generally more economical. VW reckon that the VR6 engine likes to run quite hot. No where near as hot as the old 8v 1.8 GTi engine though!

I think oil temps are all down to how hard you drive really, my car sits at about 92 normally, but had it upto 108 when giving it a blast.

Have run my car on 0/40 and 10/40 and it still gets upto 108 just the 10/40 takes a little longer. Dont think its anything to be worried about to be honest.... :)

108 isn't a problem as long as you're using a decent oil and it's within it's service life (not old).

Semi-synthetic e.g. the Quantam 10/40 silver is rated to 140c/150c before it starts to degrade anyway.

Within it's rated temperature oil is absolutely fine, go over it and it's ability to lubricate drops dramatically and as it chemically changes the oil, permanently.